Chapter 31 Birthday

A/N: I made Leandra's outfit on Polyvore.com can someone tell me how to post the image to the story please? That would be great.

Chapter 31 Birthday

Court absolutely sucked the next day. The start time got moved to eight in the morning and we went till five that evening. We would be starting at eight the next morning. I hadn't even been called to the stand. Apparently a deaf agent wasn't a reliable witness. I drove home to take my dog for walk; he had been inside all day. Some birthday this was turning out to be. My friends had all gathered around each other and ignored me as I left the court house; I had been working all day and not one text even saying happy birthday.

Once home I immediately changed out of my suit and put on a pair of jeans and a graphic tee and my tennis shoes. I grabbed Eliot's leash and bottled water slipping my phone in my pocket. A very long walk would be nice. I left, locking up on my way out, leaving my hearing aids on the table. I wanted silence right now, court had been too loud. After a few minutes, I started running, letting some frustration out.

After about two hours of walking and running, I went home. Might as well have a marathon of my favorite show after a shower and dig into a tub of ice cream. I walked up the sidewalk to my house and saw Spencer sitting on my front porch. As soon as he saw me he started talking but he was too far away for me to read his lips. I pointed to my ears and shook my head, telling him I couldn't hear him.

I unlocked my door and walked in, leaving the door open so Spencer could follow me. I took Eliot off his leash and turned to face Spencer, "What brings you here this late in the evening?" I signed.

"I have a surprise for you, it is your birthday after all. Would you accompany me?" he signed back. I was shocked; I stood there for a moment shocked. Was he asking me out? "Please Leandra? Everyone has been helping me get this surprise ready for you all week. Would you please go with me, as good friends?" he signed.

I could see he was nervous about liking me, "my brother told you about my last boyfriend," I signed back. He nodded. "Yes, I'll go with you. Just give me a few minutes to get cleaned up." I left the dining room to go to my closet and bathroom. I took a quick shower to wash off the sweat and pulled on another pair of jeans with my graphic loin king tee of Simba with the red leaves around his face and the phrase 'I can't wait to be king' at the bottom. I put my tennis shoes on and grabbed my earring aids.

Spencer grabbed my wrist, "you don't need those," he signed. I smiled at him and grabbed my leather jacket and keys following Spencer to his old Volvo. He drove out of the city and towards the country where several mansions were. I knew Rossi had one; this had to be his place we were going to. He pulled into the drive of the nicest mansion on the street. Out here it would be quiet, very little traffic, you could hear nature. This is the kind of place I would enjoy living.

Spencer came around and opened my door for me and helped me out of the car. I could feel the low bass of music playing. Someone had put up fairy lights and I could smell all kinds of food cooking. Spencer led me inside to see the front rooms of the house decorated with lights, streamers, balloons, and all kinds of things. Garcia had gone crazy. She came into the room carrying some kind of drink and started talking.

"Garcia, slow down and look at me. I don't have my earring aids in," I said looking at her crazy makeup and the cat ears she was wearing. Same old Garcia. I was just glad she didn't wear this in court, she had toned down slightly.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. I forgot you wouldn't be wearing them tonight. I guess I'm so used to seeing you with them on that I just assumed," Garcia said very quickly.

"Garcia," I said trying to interrupt her but she kept going. "Garcia," I said again in a light teasing tone.

"What?" she asked finally stopping.

"It's fine," I said. At least she didn't care whether or not I could hear. I went into the kitchen following my nose. There was a table set up with several Italian meals. I turned to Rossi, "You've been busy. I hope you had help," I said. Speaking without being able to hear my own voice was weird. I could feel my voice vibrate in my throat but couldn't hear the sound it produced.

It was also kind of weird not to hear my friends' voices. But this was the world I lived in. It was like watching a TV on mute all the time with no closed captioning. "Oh everyone helped," he said smiling.

"Good," I said going over to my brother. "We'll talk later," I signed to him. I was going to do my best to have a good time. I hadn't had a party since I was a kid. I had to keep the bruises hidden and protect the other kids from my father. Didn't help that my former boyfriend had killed himself the day before. I had spent my birthday grieving and planning a funeral that year.

I jumped when Spencer put his hand on my shoulder and led me out to the dance floor. He danced with me while everyone else finished dinner. It was nice to be able to feel the music and not have to listen to it. Don't get me wrong I loved to listen to music but I loved feeling it against my body more. I leaned into Spencer looking for some comfort trying to push the bad memories away. I wrapped my arms around his middle, being too short to easily reach higher.

I felt him tighten his arms around my middle and shoulders, pulling me close. I breathed in his scent calming myself. A short time later I was eating all kinds of pasta with red wine and water. I was told to save room for dessert so I wasn't stuffing my face. Dinner was nice, it was quiet, only Aaron and Spencer were fluent in sign, Garcia was learning.

There even gifts, mainly books since that was my main form of entertainment. After the gifts and desert, Spencer pulled me back out to the dance floor with everyone else, and the music you would hear in the clubs came and I started to show all my dance moves. This was my kind of dancing. I did have fun that night, it just had been a while since I had any kind of celebration.