Chapter 68 A Day Off

A/N: The video above mentions palm oil destroying the home of the orangutan. Palm oil is gathered in the rain forest, but to do this it is destroyed. To help with this boycott palm oil products, just read the ingredients.

Chapter 68 A Day Off

We finally had some time off and it was well deserved. "Hey Spence, I want to show you something," I called through my house where he had spent the night.

"What is it you want to show me?" he asked coming into the room.

"It's a surprise, get your jacket." I grabbed my keys and purse and headed for the car. I drove out to a rehab center for animals where I volunteered my time. I had brought a few of them there that I had rescued from unsubs.

"So what's the surprise?" Spencer asked as I drove out of the city and into the country.

"If I told you it wouldn't be a surprise now would it?" He laughed at that as I smiled.

"No I guess not," he replied. The drive took a few hours, the rehab had to be away from humans, these animals weren't meant to interact with us. I parked and grabbed the cooler out of the back. "Is that for us?" Spencer asked.

"Sorry hun, no. This has something for Benedict. I recused him when he was young. I thought you would like to meet him." Spencer's face flushed and I bit back a laugh. "There's no reason to be jealous Spencer." I reached the cage and opened the cooler and took out the cow femur. "Ben!" I called, adding animalistic grunts, calling him. Soon a full grown tiger came running up to the cage and rubbing up against it.

"Benedict's a tiger!" Spencer asked.

"Yeah," I said petting him through the wires of the fence. "Here you go Ben, I brought you a treat," I said backing up and throwing the bone over the fence. He went after it, happy as can be. "And that, ladies and gentlemen is how you make a tiger's day," I said.

"Do you go into the enclosure with him?" Spencer asked nervously.

"Sure do, but now would be a bad time. He has food, come on. I'll introduce you to another one of my rescues, Charlie and Luca."

"And who are they?" Spencer asked following me.

"Charlie is an orangutan, and Luca is a silverback gorilla. Both of them know sign and are really friendly. You can get in the enclosure with them."

"They live together?"

"They were raised together; separating them would do more harm than good. I rescued them from a drug dealer when I was working in New York. For two years I managed to keep them secret in my apartment and I moved them in the middle of night here."

"You kept them secret in New York?" Spencer asked as Luca pulled me on his back and Charlie went to check him out.

"Come on in Spencer, they won't hurt you. Charlie's a sweet heart," I said as I pushed Luca to the ground and tickled him. I played as Spencer slowly came in.

"How old were they when you got them?" Spencer asked coming to sit beside me as I rolled off of Luca.

"I think they were between six and eight months old. If it weren't for them I don't think I would have survived my grief. They became my whole world." Charlie pushed me over so he could tickle me and I let him, laughing. I pulled his face to mine so our foreheads were touching. Luca shoved his way in, not wanting to be left out. "I love you both," I said pulling his head to mine as well. Spencer watched as I started to play tag with them and I tried to get him to play too.

We laughed as we played, both of my big boys being gentle with my boyfriend and I. Best date ever.