Chapter 22

*************Sirius' POV**************

I paced back and forth in Dumbledore's office. They should be back by now! Why has no one gone down to help them! Bill and Charlie got here an hour ago, Remus showed up minutes after Molly and Arthur. No one spoke. Anyone hardly breathed, we all just waited.

"So. Sirius. I hear your keeping Harry and Gracie at your house?" Bill said, breaking the silence.

"Hm? Oh yeah. What about it?" I asked, confused by the question. He did successfully distract me though.

"Well they're dating now. Better watch out huh?" He chuckled, wiggling his eyebrows at me. I stopped pacing. I didn't even think about that. Maybe I can move Harry's room before they come home? Put him across from me instead of the girls? No. I trust the kids. Must just be the protective dad in me because my maurader side is laughing and saying that if there were witches as pretty as Gracie at Hogwarts when he was a kid and he got to live next to one, well, never mind.

Remus guffawed in laughter beside me. They all did. "Do you see his face?" Charlie panted between laughs. I just continued my pacing as the mood in the room became the same, grim mood it was before. I thought I was going to rip my hair out when Ron threw the door open, throwing Lockhart down on his face and holding it open for Harry, who was carrying an unconscious Gracelyn.

I ran to them, taking her from his arms with a smile at Harry. "Thank you Harry! You saved her life!" A blush crept over his face, but I chalked it up to being modest. I balanced Gracie in one arm, while hugging Harry with the other. I'd have hugged Ron, but Molly had that covered. After checking in him, they all ran to Gracie, even Ron. It was then that I noticed she was only breathing ever few seconds.

"Harry? What happened?" I screamed starting to panic.

"I don't know Sirius! When I got there, she was already passed out. He set the basilisk on me and Fawkes helped, it's dead. So is the guy that took her. I'm so sorry Sirius! I promised I would protect her!" I watched as a tear slipped down his face, no one said a word. We just stared at the kid who saved my daughters life, and was apologizing for it.

"Harry?" Gracie whispered, stirring in my arms. His head shot up, and he held his arms out, wanting to hold her. I felt like she was a baby again, and I was passing her to James. But she's not a baby anymore, and no matter how much he's like him, this isn't James. He's Harry, and Gracie is his Lilly. They belong together, anyone could see it.

He took her in his arms and sat down, cradling her against him. "Yes love? What do you need? Anything!"

"I, I can't breathe. I need Madam Pomfrey." She whispered, taking deep breaths every few seconds. My heart nearly dropped from my chest.

"I'll go get her. I'm going to give you back to your dad okay? I'll be right back!" He hurried, standing up. We all watched in silence, but when he stood up, she turned farther into him, clutching at his shirt.

"No! I want you to stay Harry! I have to tell you something!"

"I'll go!" Ginny rushed out of the room, tears in her eyes. I know she went because she feels like it's his fault. I'll have to work on convincing her it's not later. Right now, I want to focus on the two kids in front of me.

"What do you need to tell me Gracie?" He whispered, keeping his voice soft. Everyone was whispering, like we thought if we got any louder she'd be gone.

"I heard you, you know. And you did protect me Harry! How were you supposed to know I left the tower? We were supposed to be in bed! And it's not like you could have known, boys can't get into the girls' dormitory. Harry, I got out of bed, I walked the halls after hours. I broke the rules, it was my fault!" She clung to his shirt and stared him in the eye as he spoke.