Chapter 20

July 12, 2013

"Please don't hurt me!" He begged, tears pouring down his face. "He would have killed me! What would you have done Sirius? What would you have done?!" I glared at the rat in front of me. The first thing he did was try to blame Dad? I walked up to him and pulled my hand back to slap him, but Daddy stopped me.

"Gracie no! Let me speak to him!" I took a deep breath and stepped back. Pettigrew looked into my eyes and shivered. That's right! I'm mad baby! He better hope I'm a daddy's girl, otherwise he's in for a helluva lot of pain! "I would have died Peter! I would have died rather than betray James and Lilly!"

"They were our friends! How could you? After all James did for you!" Uncle Lupin stepped out of the fireplace, covered in soot and steaming mad! Uh oh, me, Dad, and Uncle Lupin all in one room. Not gonna end well! Peter flinched at his tone.

"Minister, I have vertiseum ready!" Dumbledore spoke calmly beside me, clapping a hand on my shoulder as I took another step towards Peter. The minister nodded and motioned for him to bring it forward. When he let go, I walked past the murder and to my dad, who Uncle Remus was standing beside. When I walked past, he flinched as if I was going to hit him. Now that I think about it, I'd rather hex him!

Professor Dumbledore stepped towards Pettigrew. He shoved a potion down his throat and stepped away. The minister started asking questions. "Did you, Peter Pettigrew, frame Sirius Black for your death?"

"Yes."

"Did you betray Lilly and James Potter to he who must not be named?" I rolled my eyes, Dumbledore's words streaming through my head. 'Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself!'

"Yes."

"Did Black do anything to you the day you staged your death?"

"Threatened me. Said he was turning me in as a death eater. But I couldn't go to Azkaban! I can't! I won't!" He started changing, turning back to a rat.

"No you don't! Stupefy!" I screamed, stunning him in the head as I jumped forward. He froze, brown fur covering parts of his body, a pointy, whiskery face. He was still chained though. I heard Uncle Remus and Dad cheering behind me. "Ugly git!" I grumbled, stepping back beside them. I received many smiles while they brought vertiseum to Dad.

"Did you, Sirius Black, have the intentions of killing Peter Pettigrew the day you were accused of doing so?"

"I admit, I thought about it, but I was a dad. Gracie was with me at the time and I cleared the thought quicker than you could say quidditch! I decided that I would ruin both our lives if I killed him and settled for handing him over to a dementor!" Dad answered confidently.

"Thank you Mr. Black. As of right now, I decree that Sirius Black is cleared of any crime. He will receive two thousand galleons in order to fix the house he left behind to make it a suitable place for his child to live, and to get himself started again. This, of course, is the ministry's way of saying we're very sorry we so wrongly accused you Mr. Black. If there's anything else we can do for you, please, don't hesitate to ask!" I squealed, hugging my father as they released him from the chair.

"Actually. There is one thing. My godson, Harry Potter. Lilly and James stated that if anything were ever to happen to them, they wanted me to take care of Harry. I'd like to file for custody. I can assure you minister, during my time in Azkaban, I had my daughter to think of. This allowed me to stay happy and hopeful. I am completely sane and fully eligible to take care if him. May I talk to him? And see if he'd like to live with me?"

"Are you sure you're financially able? Do you have room?"

"Of course. My home has at least a dozen guest rooms. I'd be delighted to give one to my godson!" Dad sounded indignant, like they'd insulted him or something. The minister smiled as he wrapped his arms over my shoulder, keeping me close to him.