Chapter 6 - Let Him in Here

Start from the beginning

I shrug.

I work in a totally different part of the hospital; usually I am someone that works with long term people or people who will be here for days at a time a few floors up. I don't know any of the doctors or nurses in this wing. It's nearly impossible to know every person in this hospital.

I have assisted in a few births before, but not enough to know what's going on. When I did assist, I was a fill in because the one woman got really sick and was out for a few days. I really didn't do much but mess with the machines and IVs and run to get things.

I knew enough when Natalie was in labor and how to help her through it, but there really isn't much medical knowledge needed to know or do that.

In other words, I really know nothing about childbirth.

The woman finishes with my hair and pulls it back into a messy bun on the top of my head. I lay back down and just as I'm about to thank her another contraction starts. I go back to hiding my face in the pillow and gripping the gown.

"Go away!" I involuntarily groan as the doctor comes in. This contraction is worse than past ones.

"What's the pain? One to ten?" The doctor asks me.

"Eight now shush!" I groan.

"Wow. Okay I'll have to check her as soon as this contraction passes. How far apart are they?" I assume the doctor is asking the nurse so I don't answer.

"We aren't too sure how far apart because she's been in here for maybe twenty minutes now but this is only the second contraction she's had yet."

"Okay." She answers.

I sigh, the contraction finally ending.

"Okay. I'm Dr. Davis, you are Cara, correct?"

"Yeah."

"Any questions about anything before I see how far dilated you are?"

"When can my husband come in?"

"As soon as his doctors let him. I'm sorry, I have no control over that." She looks at me with sorrow.

I simply nod.

"Okay. Put your feet up here." She guides my feet onto little things that come out of the table.

"It may feel a little weird, but I'll be quick, just try and not move and then it'll all be fine."

It wasn't that quick.

At least, not quick enough .

"Take your finger out, please." I groan. It is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever felt.

"Almost done Cara." She says.

I groan again.

"I think she's about two, close to three. Not as far along as I was hoping for her being at it so long, but the contractions are accurate to the dilation. I'm sorry Cara, but your not even half way yet."

I sigh. At least maybe Caleb will make it then.

I'll be back in around a half hour to check you again." She says taking off her gloves.

"Again?"

"Yep. Sorry dear. We have to keep an eye on you and your little baby girl in there." She says smiling a little.

I wish I could smile back, but even thinking of my baby girl doesn't help me right now.

"Can you turn the lights off? Or at least dim them?" I ask, wanting to relax without the brightness.

"Of course. The lights on the machines will still be on though. I can't do anything about those."

"That's okay. Thank you."

"Just keep holding on. This will all be over before you know it." She says smiling a little, and then closes the door.

Even though I'm sweating like a pig, I pull the blanket on the bet up to my chin and cry through another contraction, wishing that Caleb was here.

After it passes, I relax into the bed, only to tense up when I hear a familiar blood-curling scream that shatters my heart.

Tris.

A/N-

Hello humans!!

So, this is my first time actually doing a mini after-chapter authors note, so hello, I have returned!!

What do you all think of this sequel so far?

1.66k reads!

59.6k reads on TTAA

Anyways...

Thanks for reading!

Don't forget to...

Vote

and

Comment

and

Be brave because I <4 you all so so much! (: