Twenty-Four: Doctor's Office

Start from the beginning

"She's got a slight fever, 100.3 (F)," Dr. Hilton said. "It looks like she has the beginning stages of the flu. She'll be okay, but I'm going to prescribe antibiotics so it can go away before it gets worse. Come on, sweetie, let's get your height and weight." Dr. Hilton held out her hand, but Avery flinched away from her and clenched tighter to me. I picked her up and followed the doctor. The doctor took the weight and height of a stiff Avery. "Good job, let's go back to the room to finish discussing some things." I held Avery's hand as we went back to the room. "Ms. Lovato, can we speak outside, please?" Dr. Hilton asked.

"No," Avery mumbled quietly as she held onto my arm.

"I'll be right back," I told her. "I promise." She loosened her grip and I left the room with the doctor.

"Alright, just a couple of things. What I mainly want to talk about is her weight. She is very light for a seven year old. She's extremely underweight. Is she eating well?"

"Recently yes. See, I just adopted her, and I don't know how much she ate at her last home. She's a victim of child neglect and abuse," I explained. It killed me to say that. I wanted to believe it wasn't true.

"Oh, I see. Also, her nutrition balance is quiet low."

"We are working on that, too."

"Good. She has no shot records, and she's actually supposed to be up to date on those for school. It looks like she'll need three."

"Okay, we can get that done. She's not going to like it, though."

"No child does, but it's something that needs to be done."

I nodded and we went back into the room. I was nervous for Avery's reaction.

I talked to Avery as Dr. Hilton got the shots ready.

"When can we leave?" Avery asked almost too quietly for me to hear.

"Soon. We just need to take care of one more thing," I answered.

"What is it?" Before I could answer, Dr. Hilton turned and walked towards us with the first needle. "What's that?" Avery asked, her voice shaky.

"It's to help your health," I said, trying to calm her down. "It'll be okay."

"Okay, can we just get Avery to roll up her sleeve?" The doctor asked.

"Demi, don't let her hurt me," Avery pleaded as I rolled her sleeve up.

"It's just a few pinches on the arm, honey, it will be over before you know it," I explained.

Avery's eyes watered up. "What did I do? I'm sorry," Avery said, panicking more and more. I stroked her hair, trying to get her to calm down.

"Don't look at it, honey, look at me," I said, drawing her attention away from the needle.

"Okay," Dr. Hilton said. "On three. One, two."

"Ow," Avery whined.

"Demi, what did I do?"

"Nothing sweetheart," I tried to explain.

"Two more. One, two."

Avery winced again as the second needle touched her arm.

"I didn't mean to do anything bad," Avery cried.

"Avery, sweetie, you did nothing wrong. This is for your health," I said.

"Last one," the doctor told us.

"No," Avery yelled in complete fear as she tried to get away from the needle.

I tried to keep her still. "Avery, we're almost done."

The doctor didn't even count before giving Avery the last shot. Avery broke down in sobs, and tried to get away.

"Hang on, sweetie, we need to clean them and then get you some band aids," Dr. Hilton said.

The doctor used a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol to make sure they wouldn't get infected. She then grabbed some band aids with unicorns on them and placed them on all three places where the needles went in. All the while, Avery tried desperately to get away from the doctor.

"Avery, calm down," I pleaded in a soft tone.

"Okay, we are all done," Dr. Hilton said. I let go of Avery, who jumped off of the bed and hid in the corner away from us. "Here is the prescription, just drop it off at the pharmacy and you can pick it up later."

"Thank you so much."

The doctor left, and I went to Avery.

She flinched at my touch. "Come on, we can go now."

Avery's face was red. "Why'd you let her hurt me, Demi?" She said along with a few sniffles. "You promised no one would hurt me."

"Honey, it's for your health. That's why you don't feel good now. Your immune system isn't strong enough," I explained. "It's not your fault."

"I'm not in trouble?"

"No, of course not. Come one, let's go home. We can get ice cream on the way."

She gave me a slight smile. "Really?"

"Yeah. Come on." I got Avery up and she held my hand as we left the room, there were more people in the hall, and Avery stopped, clutching my hand. "Want me to carry you?" I asked. She nodded and lifted her hands up towards me. I picked her up and she hid her face in my hair as we walked out to the car.

That went well, I thought to myself sarcastically.

Second update of the day! Do you want a third update???