10. Second Chance

Wednesday September 1

Jason's P.O.V.

I couldn't believe what happened!  It just seems so unreal!  I can't even comprehend how it happened.  It was just so fast.  When I turned back around from glancing at Maya and Dylan, I noticed the car.  It was coming in my direction, and the only way the car wouldn't hit me was if it swerved to avoid me.  There was nothing I could do, so I closed my eyes and waited for the car to slam into me and possibly kill me.  It didn't.  I heard the crunch of something, Maya's scream, and a thud.  Why wasn't I hurt then?  Maybe I am.  Maybe I'm already dead, and in heaven?  Well, if I'm good enough to go there. 

The feeling is so weird.  I don't feel dead.  Actually, I feel very much alive.  My eyes are still closed as Maya comes running over.  I hear a car door slam shut.  I can't be dead.  If I were dead I wouldn't be hearing all of this stuff.  Now I know two things.  One, I'm on the ground.  I'm not sure how though.  Maybe I did get hit, and I'm numb?  The second thing is that I'm still alive.  I open my eyes and what I see startles me. 

There's a lifeless body lying in the middle of the street with a woman standing there as well as Maya.  I'm laying in the grass a few feet away, but I can't make out who the body belongs to because Maya is blocking my view.  That's when it hits me.  Where is Dylan?  Where is he?  I look around frantically trying to find him.  He's nowhere to be seen.  That's strange.  I slowly get up and walk over to the body.  Maya has tears rapidly flowing from her eyes, and is speaking to someone on her cell phone while she is bending over the body.  The woman, I assume who accidentally hit the person is crying and kneeling near the body too.  I finally manage to see who the body belongs to.

I feel sick to my stomach and my knees starts to wobble.  My legs become jello and I can barely stand up.  It's Dylan.  Dylan is the body that's lying lifeless.  His somewhat pale skin is covered in big black and blue bruises.  Fresh dark blood flows from his head.  That's not the only place though.  There's some blood coming from his chest, and he's laying in a really weird position.  It looked as if...  Oh.  His right arm is dislocated, and it looks like one of his legs is broken.

I feel tears forming at my eyes.  More tears start to form and then they start to gather kind of like if you let macaroni and cheese boil over.  They slowly start to slide down my face like a group of people going sky diving.  Within a few seconds my face is covered in tears.  How did this happen?  How did Dylan end up hurt and dying and me completely fine?  I'm so confused!  It should have been me!  I should've been the one to get hit by the car, and yet here is Dylan lying in a pool of blood.  This is all my fault.

I pull off my t-shirt and gently place it under Dylan's head and try to stop the bleeding.  It helps a little.  I can see that Dylan's chest is moving very slowly, it's at the point where you have to look closely to see it moving.  Maya checks for Dylan's pulse and finds that it's pretty slow, and is still dropping.  I look at Maya and we exchange a worried look.  Where is that ambulance?!

As if on cue, the ambulance appears.  The sirens are blaring loudly and flashing.  They load Dylan on to a stretcher, but then decide that it would be better to put him on a helicopter.  They call in the helicopter, and thank goodness it is nearby so they can pick Dylan up quickly. 

While we are waiting, the paramedics to their best to keep Dylan alive.  A police car arrives and starts asking us about what happened and the cops talk to the woman too.  One of the officers goes and calls Dylan's parents.  I can't imagine how they'll take it.  Dylan's parents love him dearly. 

I hear the sound of a helicopter flying ahead and turn around to look at it.  Sure enough, the helicopter lands near us and the paramedics rush to get him on.  I really wish that Maya and me could go with, but the paramedics thought it would be better if we didn't go with them.