Eventful

"Be good you two," I smiled, waving to them as the wandered inside Alfie's Mum's house. They were going to spend the night there. Alfie was out the house now, we did plan to spend the evening together because we haven't had much time together since I started working but he said he had an emergency meeting in London or whatever.

*sigh*

Work's going pretty well in case you were wondering, so is the magazine. My cover turned out pretty well and the magazine's done alright in terms of sales. Writing the first page spread was easy but it's been a struggle to find time to write it. I wrote it the day before it was due in, either way Claire seemed to like it so I'm not arguing...

"I'm sure they will be," Amanda smiled, as she followed them inside. "Have a wonderful night, I'll drop them off in the morning!"

I slowly walked back to my car and just sat at the wheel for a while, wondering what one earth to do tonight. Most Mum's would kill to be in my position, a kid-free night, but not me. I just feel empty and I'm really unsure what to do.

I drove back to our house and just lay in front of the telly watching re-runs of modern family. I ordered a pizza and was waiting for it to arrive.

My phone started ringing so I got up to answer it. I didn't even check the caller ID, I just answered it.

"Hullo?" I groaned, rolling my eyes slightly. I sounded so happy, the person who's calling must feel so brightened listening to my voice.

"Zoe?" They screamed, I recognised it immediately. It was Anna, she sounded so scared and frightened. "Zoe, help me! My water's have broke and I'm home alone with the kids. Jonathan isn't answering his bloody phone and there's nobody else but you!"

"Anna, stay calm. I'm coming!" I shouted, slipping on some shoes and running for the door. The pizza guy was outside so I paid him and then ran to the car. "Stay on the phone Anna, I'll get there as quick as I can, I'll text Jonathan too!"

I texted Jonathan:

'ANNA IN LABOUR GET HOME QUICK! IM ON MY WAY'

and then speeded off in my car.

I thought I was in for a quiet night...

_

I probably broke every speed limit but managed to get up to Anna's house in about an hour. I ran straight in the house to see Anna curled over by the kitchen counter, screaming in pain. There was crying from upstairs and I didn't know where to go first.

I ran to Anna and rubbed her back, letting her know I was here. She screamed and then pointed to upstairs. I took that as my signal to go see the crying child.

Eduardo was sitting up in his bed, shaking. I ran towards him and took his hand in mine.

"Mummy! Is Mummy okay? She's scared!" Eduardo sobbed, I shook my head and gave him a cuddle.

"Your Mummy's just upset, she's really hurt herself. You go back to sleep, I'm going to ring your Daddy," I whispered, rubbing his head. I would've stayed but Anna's cries were getting louder so I gave him a quick cuddle, shut his door and then ran back to Anna.

"Anna, I need to get you into the living room," I whispered, wrapping her arms around my neck. I hobbled her into the living room and lay her down on the floor, propped up by some pillows. I kept ringing Jonathan, wondering where the hell he could be and then sat next to Anna.

She'd stopped screaming, but was now just whimpering in pain.

"It's gone to quickly. My waters only broke about 2 hours ago, but the contractions have killed," She whined, leaning her head on my shoulder. "Where's Jonathan?"

"I'm ringing him and I'm trying to wait for him before getting you to the hospital but, I think we're going to have to just ring them now," I sighed, wrapping my arms around her.

She just nodded, wow, she must be in pain. Anna would normally have protested but she just shrugged. I rang an ambulance and listened to their instructions.

Anna started shouting again, so loud the operator must've heard her.

"Miss, if the patient doesn't mind, is it possible for her to be in a nightie or something?" She asked, sounding a little nervous.

Luckily, Anna was. She started sleeping in long shirts or nighties when she was heavily pregnant, just for comfort I guess. I didn't have to ask her to get changed, thankfully because I don't think she could.

"She is," I whispered, nodding my head and squeezing Anna's hand.

"I'm going to pass you onto a duty midwife."

The phone went silent for a moment and then another voice started up.

"Hello, my name's Veronica. I just want to assure you that an ambulance is on it's way but I'm going to stay on the phone with you. Are you the only one with the patient?"

"Yes," I nodded, eventhough she couldn't see me.

"Right, well if at all possible, could you just tell me what you see?"

This is highly embarrassing.

"Shit," I muttered as I dropped the phone. "I can see a head!"