'Monsters'

Filler chapter, I know, I'm sorry. I promise there is some direction after this, just bare with! (Double update today!)
Vote/Comment/Share
-----
I rested my head on Alfie's chest as we lay looking at the ceiling.

"You seemed to cheer her up," He whispered, I nodded and then tilted my head so I could see him.

"She thinks we don't have time for her anymore," I blurted, Alfie sighed and rubbed his hand down my back.

"Well it's hard little one, you can't beat yourself up," He mumbled. "We'll just make sure we have family day or dorm thing?"

I nodded, I liked that idea.

"We always used to do it as kids, no matter how busy we'd been through the week, Sunday had to be clear. It was a day you only spent with family. We'd have like a Sunday dinner and then go to the park or the pictures or something."

"That sounds great," I smiled, kissing his chest. "It's harder than they make it out."

"What is little one?" My heart melted, I love it when he calls me little one.

"Just being us, having twins. Most people struggle with one, we went in at the deep end and had two," I mumbled.

Alfie chuckled and kissed my head.

"We haven't done too bad a job so far Zoe, have we? I mean, there both still here and aren't royally screwed up," Alfie laughed, lightly.

I laughed too and nodded my head. Putting it like that, we've done an alright job.

"I guess so," I smiled, Alfie rubbed patterns on my back and kissed my temple. "I love you."

"I love you too, I'm sorry I don't say it enough," Alfie beamed.

I closed my eyes to Alfie rubbing soothing patterns on my back which helped me drop right off,quickly.
-
"Mummy!" I heard someone scream, I've never jumped up quicker. I ran to Patrick's room where the wailing noise was coming from.

He was sitting bolt upright in bed and was sobbing. He was curled up in a little ball and looked terrified.

"What's wrong baby?" I whispered, rushing towards him and sitting him on my knee.

"I.. I saw a monster. He jumped up at me and scared me, he's hiding under my bed!" He screamed,wrapping his arms tightly around my neck.

I rocked him back and forth and tried not to laugh.

"Do you want me to check?" I asked, kissing his head. "Should I tell him to go away?"

"Be careful Mummy, he was big and green and scary and he said he eats people!" Patrick screamed, letting go of me.

He continued sobbing as I lay down and looked under the dark bed. There was nothing under here but I want him to sleep, so now I'm going to talk to the dark, I guess....

"Mr Monster, leave Patrick alone!" I exclaimed. "I'm very cross with you and if you don't leave our house now, I'll have to release our scary doggy Nala on you!"

Patrick giggled but then went back to crying.

"Don't speak to me like that!" I cried, wanting to make sure Patrick went to sleep without crying. "Fine, you leave me no choice!"

I got up and pretended to pick up the 'monster'. I walked to our window and opened it, making sure Patrick could hear. I shut it again quickly, damn it's cold.

"Why are you doing Zoe?" Alfie groaned, groggily.

"Getting rid of monsters," I giggled, as if it was something I do everyday.

Alfie shook his head as if to say 'I'm not going to ask' and then went back to sleep.

I walked back to Patrick's room to see him huddled up in the corner.

"It's gone now," I whispered, lieing down in bed with him. "Now go to sleep."

"Thankyou Mummy." He whimpered, lieing down next to me. "Are the monsters just inside my head?"

I sighed, what he doesn't realise is he's right. He's realised something that most adults don't. The real monsters are inside your head, some are scary but you have to get rid of them. That's what I realised a few months back, but I'm not explaining that at 3am to my 4 year old.

"Some of them are," I sighed. "But don't think about that, go to sleep now."

He nodded and fell asleep quickly, I fell asleep too. I couldn't be bothered to fight the tiredness and go back to my bed.

I felt happy where I was anyway, I was protecting my little boy from the 'monsters' and that's part of what I need to do.

I couldn't be happier doing it.