100

I was getting a party. An event all for me. I couldn't believe this. Of course it was suppose to be a surprise but I eavesdropped on a couple of coworkers spilling the news on their lunch break.

"Are you going?" Jeannette asked Maggie from inside the lunchroom. I was actually walking to get my Chinese that was stored in the fridge but couldn't help but stop my movements when I heard their conversation.

"Uh hell yeah. Nathan is making a huge deal about her and how she's boosting the company - I want a piece of whatever she's having." Maggie comments.

"I think Nathan has a thing for her." Jeannette says, a hint of jealousy lacing her voice. Nathan - have a thing for me? Pfft - he could do better.

"Maybe, I mean they'd seem cute together. We have to see how they are at her surprise party." My eyebrows raise at her words. Surprise party? For me?

"True - we have to watch them. Let's see if they make a move or something." I finally decide to stop eavesdropping and walk into the room where both girls eyes shoot to me - fake smiles plastered on their faces.

"Hey girl!" They say simultaneously.

With this news I was slightly apprehensive. I didn't want my coworkers thinking I suddenly swooped in and 'wooed' the boss into loving me and getting a party to myself. I worked hard for this. Not that I was asking for a party but if I cared for it - I'd say I deserve it.

And it's not like I can tell Nathan to cancel it. One - he's my boss. Two - he's probably worked really hard on it. Three - I don't want to disappoint anyone.

As far as I knew it was a evening meeting with high business owners so I couldn't tell him not to do it. He'd know I knew. And I'd hate to ruin it.

I groaned into my desk for the millionth time thinking of reasons not to show - but I knew in my heart that was wrong. How selfish of me.

My office phone rings, startling me slightly. I'm quick to answer it though, alertness in my voice.

"Kat's office."

"Hey Kat - it's Nathan meet me in the back area yeah?"

My eyebrows furrowed at his request, my pulse quickening, my palms sweating. My coworkers words floating around my head.

"I think Nathan has a thing for her."

Holy shit. What if he tries something? What if he asks me to dinner? What if he confesses his undying love for me? Holy shit - what do I tell Ashton? What do I say? How do I respond?

"Hello? Kat?" Shit. I forgot I was still on the phone with him.

"U-Uh yeah I'll uh... be out in a sec." With that I hang up my phone, my hands rubbing over my makeup free face.

Calm down, it's your boss. He doesn't have a thing for you and your just being ridiculous.

I let out a breath as I finally exit my office, my eyes roaming the hallway before making my way to the back. Way to make it obvious - genius.

Once I near the back door, my heartbeat quickens - my nerves picking up. Damn you anxiety.

I gulp as I push the glass door open, Nathan coming into view.

He turns to me, a grin on his face when he sees me. I send him a nervous grin as I slowly make my way to him, my hands fidgeting with each other.

"I have amazing news." He muses, his face beaming with joy.