65

Songs for the chapter: Don't let me go - Harry Styles

Nothing good lasts forever. I knew that. I grew up with that stained in the back of my mind.

This was proof. Well my whole life was proof enough, really.

Even after I got dropped with the 'your my daughter' news last night, I still had to move. Ashton and I scheduled to move my stuff today and there's no way we can push it, not that I wanted to.

I wanted to move and live on my own so I can sulk in my self loathe. I can't necessarily do that with Ashton periodically asking me how I was doing. And yeah, it's nice to know he cares but I just really wanted silence.

"Ready?" Ashton asks me from the front door, his hands on his gym short clad hips, a layer of sweat forming on his face. He had just finished carrying down whatever belongings I had in here.

"Yeah," I quietly respond, patting Maxie's back before walking towards Ashton. He gives me a half smile as we walk out his apartment and to mine.

-

"Let's pray this is the last time I do this." Ashton huffs as he drops my new mattress in the bed frame. I had bought a few new furniture items considering my old ones were tainted with bad memories. Plus since Ashton gave notice to my last apartment place they threw my stuff out, it didn't really matter though, I kind of want to have a fresh start.

"Thanks, again." I say as Ashton sits on the edge of my mattress. He smiles, grabbing my waist and pulling me inbetween his legs.

"Are you going to be okay?" He asks in a whisper as if someone would hear him. I gulp, my eyes trained on my hands. I simply nod.

"Don't do that - shut me out. I - I don't like it." Ashton says sadly, his large hands squeezing my hips gently.

"I'm not trying to." I respond quietly, my voice slightly hoarse from not having used it.

"Well it seems like it... I just don't want you to feel alone here - when your not." He says and I nod, my eyes scanning his face.

His hair was messily pushed out his face in a man bun, his large hazel eyes staring into my soul. I couldn't help but place my hand on his cheek, his eyes fluttering slightly. I rub my thumb across the crease of his dimple, my fingers being pricked by his stubble.

"I know I'm not alone - I have you." Ashton smiles at my words, my finger sinking in his dimple. Ashton stands up, in seconds towering over me.

"Well I'm happy to hear that." He respond smiling at me, I give him a small smile before I feel Ashton's hand on my cheek, pulling me to meet his lips in a kiss.

I stand on my tip toes, Ashton tilts his head, deepening the kiss. "I love you," he mutters into my mouth and I pull away only to attach my lips again to his. "A lot." He mutters once again. I sheepishly smile, pulling away I lean my forehead against his.

"I love you too, a lot."

-

Ashton had left, after we ate take out on my bed and watched some TV, he left because it was getting late and told me he'd come by tomorrow.

So now, I sit, unpacking my last box of stuff to go in my room.

The apartment was quiet, only noise being made is from every time I place an object down on my desk.

I continued digging through the junk, placing little objects here and there on my desk, a few books I had, nothing major.

But then I saw it. My picture frame, with a picture of my brother, me and my mom. Not your mom anymore, my subconscious reminds me.

I stare at the image, for so long I thought my own mother hated me. For so long I thought I was a mistake, a failure, a burden. For so long... I thought I wasn't good enough. For so long I thought my mother resented me, her own flesh and blood. When in actuality, my dads girlfriend hated me.

I held in a breath as I ripped the picture out the frame, tearing it apart, I watch as it falls to the ground in little pieces.

She isn't my mother. But this Meredith woman isn't either.

-

A little something for you guys! Hope you liked it! I enjoyed writing this chapter quite a bit, aha.

Happy reading! Xx