The preliminary round

~~Gaara's POV~~

I'm observing the other candidates who managed to get through the forest in search for (y/n). After meeting her she somehow intrigued me and I tried to get as many information about her as possible but it is not much known from her. It seems like she has a strong Kekkai Genkai called Dragan but I haven't found out what it can yet. She also can summon dragons and use their powers. What I find the most interesting is the fact that she is the jinchuriki of the eleven-tailed beast and had a similar childhood like mine but she is different from me. She doesn't behave like a monster and ever since I found that out I'm asking myself why. Once everyone makes their opinions there is no use of trying to change that. It's only going to hurt yourself. So why is she still nice and kind to almost everyone?

It's then that I hear the door opening and turn towards it to see her team coming inside. I already wondered why they hadn't arrived yet. I guess without her team she would have been here earlier considering the fact that she doesn't look exhausted or hurt at all, not like her team mates. Seems like she is at least as strong as the rumors are saying. A fight with her would be worth my time but...why do I not like the idea of fighting against her...?

~~Reader's POV~~

Right after we arrive at the next room Ifri flies off my shoulders chuckling and I am tackled to the ground by a certain female ninja. "(Y/n)-chan, you're finally here! I started worrying you wouldn't make it in time!"

Before I have time to reply Sakura starts shouting. "Get off of her Ino-Pig!"

Keeping me in her tight hug Ino snaps back. "Why should I Billboard Brow?!"

'Here they go again...' I think while sweatdropping. Somewhere during their 'discussion' Ino let go of me and I stand back up. Looking around I see some are gazing at the two annoyed and Ifri watches them in amusement. Shaking my head at him I spot Hinata standing with her team and walk up to her smiling. "Hey Hinata-chan. I'm glad you got through the forest too. Congrats!"

She turns to me and smiles shyly. "H-hi (y/n)-chan. T-thanks and I-I'm glad y-you are here, t-too."

Just then Kiba interrupts. "Hey! What about Akamaru and me?! You're not glad to see us?!"

Chuckling at him I say. "Sorry Kiba-kun, of course it's good to see you two but Hinata-chan is a closer friend so I'm happier to see her."

At first he pouts a bit but then he smirks and puts his arm around my shoulders. "We could be close friends too, you know...very close indeed..."

Not understanding what he means I look at him confused but before he can say anything else he is forcefully yanked away from me by Sasuke and Naruto who are glaring at him menacingly. Right then someone appears and tells us that we shall gather together and quietly follow him. After smiling encouragingly at Hinata I walk back to Sakura with Naruto and Sasuke. Ifri returns to lay on my shoulders while we follow the guy into another room where our senseis, Anko, Ibiki, Iruka, some other ninjas and the two kages from Konoha and Tsuki are already waiting. Upon seeing me Lady Kiki smiles and waves enthusiastically successfully turning the whole attention to me and her. I shake my head at her behavior but smile. Seems like she worried about me too much again. Finally realizing what she is doing she laughs and apologizes but the Hokage just smiles kindly and nods to Anko. She then starts speaking. "First off, for the second test...Congratulations on passing!"

I notice something moving under Lady Kiki's sleeves and a few seconds later I hear her voice in my mind. 'What happened in the forest with Orochimaru?'

Immediately I put my hand on the part of my neck where he bit me. 'How do you know about it?'

Sighing she replies. 'Some corpses were found right after the second part began and Anko went into the forest. She fought with him and he told her he gave someone a curse seal. I don't have to tell you who that someone is, right?'

Turning my gaze away from her I answer. 'Yes, it's me. Don't worry about it though, Cara took care of it...'

Kiki interrupts me harshly. 'Don't tell me to not worry about you! You are for me like the daughter I never had and I want to protect and help you with everything I can! Please stop hiding things and talk with me.'

Suddenly feeling guilty I tell her what happened reluctantly. She waits until the end of my report. 'That means he will most likely stop trying to get control over the dragons and you successfully got his attention away from Sasuke but...what are you going to do now?'

I sigh in defeat. 'Honestly, I don't know...guess I have to wait for things to happen.'

Closing her eyes Kiki says. 'Alright. It seems like this is all we can do for now. Well then,...I'm really glad to see you didn't got hurt by anything else at all and congratulations for getting this far! I'm so proud of you!'

Smiling I end the conservation with a thank you and turn my attention back to Anko. "Hokage-sama will now explain the third test. Listen carefully!"

Everyone turns to the Hokage as he starts speaking. "For the coming third test...but before I explain that there is something I would like you to know. It concerns the true reason for this exam." The Genins look at him confused but I know what is about to come. "Why do we have all the allianced countries taking the exam together? 'To promote friendship among the countries.' 'To raise the level of shinobi.' I don't want you to be confused about the true meaning...This exam is...A replacement for war among the allied countries."

He takes a break to let it sink in before he continues his speech. I'm not surprised at all because I know all of that from Lady Kiki. She explained many political things to me to prepare me for when I will be Lunakage. Suddenly Naruto shouts out. "Why the hell do we have to do that crap? Isn't this thing for deciding who's a Chuunin?"

Catching the Hokage's eyes on me I nod and explain. "Of course this exam shows who has what it takes to become a Chuunin but that's only one side of the medal. The other side is to risk your own life to protect your lands reputation."

Ino then asks me what I mean and I reply. "Well, the Chuunin exams aren't only watched by members from the countries who participate but also by leaders and influencial individuals from many countries who are the clients of the shinobi. They will watch our battles to see our strength and judge every single one. Depending on it they will choose which country they are going to ask for help. Besides every country shows its power and a strong power can be used as a threat in international politics."

Kiba then shouts out. "Yeah but why?! Why do we have to risk our lives in battle?!"

Closing my eyes I answer calmly. "The strength of the country is the strength of the village. The strength of the village is the strength of the shinobi. And a shinobi's true strength is born only through life-risking battle. The exams demonstrate the country's and your own strength. It only has meaning because lives are at risk."

Then Tenten asks. "But why do you say it's for 'friendship'?"

I turn to her while opening my eyes. "To keep the balance of the powers through these fights means to maintain the friendship between shinobis. That's how it is in the ninja world."

Turning back towards the front I notice that many look at me shocked. Lady Kiki prevents herself from screaming out how proud she is but it's clearly written on her face. The Hokage nods in approval and smiles at me. "Excellent. Seems like you taught her very good, Lady Kiki."

She smiles proudly. "Thank you but it's all her hard work. I only taught her the basic knowledge."

Just then Naruto asks me. "Wait a moment...for which country are you fighting then (y/n)-chan?!"

Before I can react Lady Kiki starts speaking. "She fights for both, Konoha and Tsuki to show how strong our friendship is. Our two countries never fought against each other but supported the other whenever it was needed. (Y/n) was sent to the academy in Konoha to show that our bond is stronger than every other nation."

Naruto nods in understanding and the Hokage clears his throat loudly to get everyone's attention. When he is about to explain the third test another ninja appeared and asks him to do it instead of the Hokage. He allows it and the shinobi introduces himself as Gekkou Hayate and he also says that these are the preliminaries to reduce the candidates for the third test. Then he says who feels like quiting after these explanations shall come forward. Kabuto is the only one to leave and I notice him looking at someone specific in the front. Searching for that person I spot the sensei from the sound village and the curse seal starts to hurt. I instantly gripped the place and ask myself how that can be possible. I thought Orochimarus people only get an illusion and not that it will be still painful for me. Noticing this Ifri looks at me worried and Sakura whispers. "(Y/n)-chan, you should also quit this prelim."

Naruto and Sasuke look at her surprised and I look at her questioningly. She continues. "That mark you got from that Orochimaru guy...it still hurts, right?! So please quit...if you continue to fight..."

Now understanding I smile at her reassuringly. "Don't worry Sakura-chan. It's the first time it hurt since Cara treated it and I was already in much more pain than this. If it gets worse I'll just summon Cara and ask her for help. Besides if I quit the prelim it will be only a sign for others that the bond between Konoha and Tsuki is not as strong as everyone believes and this would lead to many problems. No matter what happens I can't and won't quit. I also won't loose myself like I did in the forest because I know I'm not alone and definitely not weak. You are all there for me no matter what, right?"

She nods at least a bit relieved and smiles a little. Naruto grins with a thumbs up and even Sasuke manages a small smile. Turning back towards the front I see Anko, Kakashi-sensei, Lord Hiruzen and Lady Kiki discussing something with Ibiki listening. Did they notice me holding my neck too?! The Hokage turns to Kiki as she says something confidently. He nods and replies. Anko doesn't seem to be happy about it but doesn't say anything else. Hayate then explains the preliminaries but I am too much in thought to notice. What is Orochimaru planning to do now that he gave me the seal...? I come back to reality when Ifri pokes me in the cheek with his tail and motions to an electric scoreboard saying it will show the names of the two who have to fight against each other. Nodding I watch it calmly. When the two names appear my eyes widen in shock. It reads:

(L/n), (Y/n) vs. Shiranui, Touko