CHAPTER 144-THE MAIDEN RETURNS HOME

The solar matter always looked beautiful, planets spread out in the endless galaxy for me to see. I watched them, standing before the clear glass of the ship which headed for Kayan, our home.

Viktor's heavy footsteps were heard.

"Well, now we have one more enemy thanks to you."

I said nothing.

"They think we have ten thousands of men, when we barely have hundreds."

"Za'afiel cannot die."

"Excuse me?'

"That thing, that is what it wants. If Za'afiel dies, it will consume everything in this galaxy. I saw it in her eyes." I turned to face him, "Just like reed, it will spread, destroy all life."

"What about Kayan then? My sister?"

"Natasha chose her side. She wasn't forced. As for Kayan, I can negotiate..."

"Yes, right!" he scoffed, "Your interest always come first!"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I want my sister back in my arms, that's what it means! I don't care about the galaxy or any of that mess. I want Natasha..."

"And if she refuses? What then?"

"I kill Za'afiel."

"Dianmu prospers then if you do that."

"You will be there! As the next..."

"I don't want to be Emperor. I can't stop that thing too! It's power is ten times that of I!"

"Fine, so this is it? We back down? We let all those Draugrs and Kayans die for nothing?"

I couldn't answer.

"Answer me, Queen Asenath."

"Yes."

He nodded wryly.

"People always die. When there is a misunderstanding, people die. It's natural..."

"They were set out into the sun, the women slit of their throats and the city bathed in their blood. Normal? She took young girls, young girls that you fought so hard to declare as free!"

"I can't..." I melted into tears. "I can't save everyone!"

"Yet you call yourself the voice of the people? Queen of the slaves..."

"I won't let Za'afiel die!" I yelled at him. "I won't. She is my mother, and I won't let anyone kill her."

"Kill me then. I am going to sign that deal with Aaron and his beast and come for your mother."

"You have no army Viktor. When he finds out that you have no men the deal will be off."

"I will pay an army, with every last silver piece that I have. Whatever it takes."

"You're a monster." I couldn't recognize him, "Lukyan would be disappointed."

"Lukyan is dead." His voice was cold.

I reached out my hand to touch his face, but he held it before it could reach his face. His grip was cold and firm.

"When we reach Kayan, I want you to take all that is yours and leave my planet. Go wherever you see your heart fit, away from me."

"Viktor..."

"You are a joke to the Kayan people, you are Amdelonian. That is all you ever were."

"You are a joke to your people as well." I sniffed, "To think I ever loved you."

He let me go before heading out of my cabin, leaving behind the tense atmosphere. He was right all along. He was different, nothing like the Draugr people.

~~~

Before I left Kayan, I drained enough blood for Viktor that would be for the coming months. Yes, I hated him, but I could never let Vegabond take him just as it had did his father. I cared too much for the unruly man.

I left Kayan and all her people. Just as Viktor had said, I wasn't one of them. I was Amdelonian. An Amdelonian true blood in denial. I had to return home, to my people, to my mother.

I took a ship from Kayan to Titania. When I reached Titania, I was lucky enough to find merchants traveling to Amdelonian. They were kind enough to take me with them, back to my home.

I listened to the Titanaians as they sang in their native language, within the ship. The ship was far from luxury, built to carry spices and herbs to the many worlds. The Titanians were yellow people with funny faces.

Sleeping on the hammock, I watched them walk around the ship, one of them carrying a small drum.

"Excuse me," I called out to him,

He stopped and stared,

"Can you play?"

"This?" he held it up with his thin arms.

"Yes," I nodded,

"A little."

"Will you play, play it for me? Please?"

"You want me to play for you?"

"Yes."

He nodded, smiling like a little child. I watched as he sat before me and positioned the drum between his thighs. His bony hands caressed it before he began to beat it. I watched him, fascinated by the rhythm.

It was soothing to my ears, music for the troubled. I had a weakness to the magic of the universe, to music, and the mysteries of the worlds.