CHAPTER 40-COLD HEART

ASENATH POV

When I was a little child, I would follow Iris wherever she would go, no matter the weather. She was like a sister to me, an older sister that I annoyed quite a lot. Mother loved us both, maybe me more because Iris would not have much given to her as I did.

"At least she is not dead my princess," Darya spoke, smearing oil into my hair.

"She is alive and hates me. You could have seen her face, I will never forget it."

"Iris forgives. She will forgive you princess. You are the one person she cares for."

"I doubt it." I muttered,

"Pardon?"

"Iris does not care for me, she follows orders. She lives for that only."

"How awful! I am disappointed."

"Mother told her to marry me, and she did not even think twice about it. She does just as the Emperor wants."

There was silence, with Darya's hands massaging my scalp gently. I sighed, closing my eyes, and tried to wish it all away.

"If she does as the Emperor wants, why did she leave on your wedding then? For Aires out of all places?"

"She wanted to avenge the fallen,"

"Exactly. It came from her, what she wanted."

I opened my eyes and gasped.

"What is it?"

"I...I never thought of it like that. Does that mean she just wants to kill? Avenge?"

"I heard that she used to serve along the army before the Emperor...before she was made to watch over you. Princess, I believe that Iris wants to fight and not to...dwell and..."

"She wants to be a lonely soldier for the rest of her life?"

"Maybe."

"It doesn't make a sense!" I argued, "Of course I might not be her match but someone out there is."

"Have you ever seen her with anyone before?"

"No even once."

"There you have it."

"Chasity?"

She giggled at the word,

"How else do I put it? Darya...do you think she even has any feelings at all?"

"No," she laughed, "Iris is as cold as the glaciers."

"Unbelievable! I am utterly shocked! I must document this!"

"Princess,"

"Yes?"

"I was reading, from the old books. It states that slaves cannot be soldiers. Is it true? Would I not be allowed to battle, even when there are no more soldiers standing?"

"Maid, you are a maid and not a slave." I corrected her,

"Oh yes, princess."

Sometimes I forgot that Darya along with the other maids were not Amdelonian but sold victims from other worlds. They would arrive at a young age in this planet where they would be taught all there is to being and to serving Amdelonians.

"Where did you even come from?" I asked her,

"Kayan. I remember a little bit, some of my brothers." She spoke, her grip on my head loosening. "I was a little, and my father sold me. There was this big ship, where we placed in and that was all...I had left home."