CHAPTER 94-SCORCHED MAGIC

ASENATH POV

Kayan's sun scorched the desert below. There was nothing but sand below me. As the wind blew across me, I watched as Draugr machinery mined the lime from the old Kayan walls. There were Draugr species everywhere, dressed in protective clothing from the sun.

Viktor thought it would be great that I got to see how Lime was mined. I agreed, curious to see it for myself. It was just as I had imagined, machinery and men everywhere. I expected to see Kayan species working as well but they were none.

The small ship that we boarded flew over the area, entrance opened and the wind whooshing inside.

"And? What do you think?" he asked from my side.

"Predictable,"

"Mining is all the same."

"Well," I said, "I did expect you would have more natives here though."

"They will arrive tomorrow." He spoke.

The ship passed the area and there was nothing but the desert again. The brown sand spread across the plain before another small residential place appeared. It was a little village, with a temple at the center.

I could see Kayan species running around on the land and when they saw the ship, they ran for their houses. My forehead frowned at the sight. Kayan species had a special place in my heart, I was going to marry one.

My hand stretched out and magic traveled from my palms, forming golden doves that flew down to the village. They spread in the air, circling the village before dissolving into particles.

"If I let you govern the affairs of the Kayan people, do you promise to behave?" Viktor asked me.

"You want me to do your job?"

"Part of it,"

"Well, I can't promise you that, but I do promise that I will give it my all."

"Fair enough. You will need to move in that lousy castle then, so I can monitor you closely."

"Consider it done."

As much as I hated to admit it, Viktor and I made quiet a formidable pair. I could already see it, the future of Kayan was going to change. I was going to restore it to its former glory...as the center of language and literature.

I swore to have Darya return to her home, where she would see her people and be amongst them. This would be our home.

So, I wasted no time, by two days, I had moved to the Kayan castle...formally Amir's castle. Already, the windows were painted black to barricade the sunlight and any image of the dead Amir or his former kings were gone.

Dark and velvet curtains were being put into place along with the Draugr symbols. My footsteps echoed as I walked down the hallways, passing the busy people who were changing everything around the place.

I entered the throne room, where Viktor stood, having a word with men who were removing the throne from its place. His short hair was neatly sleeked back ( Like always)and he wore the crimson traditional Draugr robe which had long sleeves.

Seeing me, he dismissed himself before walking towards me.

"Everything looks fine so far." I spoke.

"Yes, just a few changes." He said before examining what I wore.

"What?"

"Crimson is your color."

"Being nice doesn't suit you."

"So, I heard," he gestured at me to follow him out.

We walked out of the room, and down the hallway. Our footsteps echoed in the dim light.

"I read your letter of demands." He said, "You are so much like Natasha, but maybe too naïve. Ending slavery in Kayan will not happen overnight. At least not with the men making money off it."

"I have all the time in the world to see it through."

"And what do you gain? From chasing away wealth that comes with slavery?"

"Not everything is about wealth."

"Is it? You humor me, Asenath. Wealth is what drives all life in the galaxy, the reason we are what we are. The children maybe they can't be sold but the adults...that won't be possible. I know a lot of planets made up of Kayan slaves...Amdelon included."

"I will give them a choice then! They will leave if they want..."

"It is too dangerous, we can't risk upsetting the Amdelonians or they will return here."

"You will sign it in your blood, that way they cannot or that will be breaking the oath between Ayat and Lukyan."

"Do you think Za'afiel will care..."

"I know that woman. She will not risk losing an army at this time...not after Zaleria fell."

"I heard it was dark magic that took Zaleria."

"It was," my voice was calm. "I was there."

"That must have been nerve wrecking..."

"I watched it eat away my people. Dark Entity that I had never seen before. Amdelonians fell like Dominoes. I don't know what that was but...I fear it may return."

"Isn't it wise knowing one's enemy?"

"You want me to find out what it was?'

He nodded, "Should it return...for any of us."