CHAPTER 43-I SWORE TO BARBARA

When we arrived at the ship's port, I was surprised to find so many people. Lights flashed in the night as we walked over the snow, heading towards the ship that was being loaded with weapons. Little Eilidh held onto my hand tightly while I tried to catch up with Catriona who walked before us.

The cold breeze blew harshly, and we had to cover our heads with the hoods of our coats. The was so much noise, men and women yelling at each other. Catriona began to yell at one man with long dark hair and beard.

"Uncle Aaron!" she ran into his arms, and they embraced each other.

"Where is Eilidh?"

"Here," she said, turning to face us,

Aaron's face tensed at my sight. He looked at my hand around Eilidh's before looking at me again.

"Is this Aaron?" Eilidh asked, looking up at the man.

"Aye, yer uncle." Catriona answered before looking at me, "This is Leif, she is a sister."

"Leif," he brought out his hand to me,

I shook it quickly,

"She will take care of us," Eilidh said, looking up at me with a smile.

Aaron's face changed as he exchanged glances with Catriona before gesturing at her to take Eilidh. Catriona gladly took Eilidh, and they walked over to the ship while Aaron and I watched them.

I knew exactly what he was going to say.

"Let me guess, ye do not want to come,"

"Sorta." He answered, "Ye understand now don't ye?"

"No,"

"Ye look so much like him," he looked at me, "Bjorn. Ye reek of him lass."

"Barbara made me swear that I was to look after them."

"Barbara isn't here."

I watched the two girls disappear from my view, into the ship before turning to face him. I did not trust him. Not even a bit.

"Leave the girls here and leave, Leif."

"Aye," I nodded, stepping back.

He turned around and continued to help the other men pack some wooden boxes into the ship. I watched him, debating with my inner self whether to let him have the children or not. They weren't Piper, why should I care about them?

They did not even like me!

I began to walk away, I was better alone anyways. My feet dug into the snow as I looked back one last time and a pang of guilty overwhelmed me. They were just children, I couldn't leave them with that man!

"Darnit." I whispered, turning around, and jogging back to the ship that was being loaded. I brought the hood closer to my face and stepped inside the ship quickly, dodging the boxes that were being loaded in.

The engine roared loudly while I walked down the small passage, hearing voices everywhere.

"We're ready to leave!" yelled Aaron from the outside.

They were men everywhere, walking around and some laughing. This ship was a transportation ship, one that was used to transport species from one colony to the other, meaning that it was far from luxury.

My eyes saw the two girls huddled at one corner, like frightened deer. I began to walk to them, bumping shoulders quickly. When I reached them, I stood over them and Catriona saw me first.

Her mouth opened but I quickly hushed her,

"Shhh. Not a word."

She closed her mouth.

"Ye mother said ye should leave with me. I am following her orders."

"She said we should leave with the rebellion, not Bjorn's favorite."

"Do not mention that name here or we will all die." I then reached out my hand, "Come, we will use another ship."

"Ye are crazy."

The ship began to move, and I struggled on my feet. I sat down next to them quickly and pulled the belts on the wall around me, my hands shaking. I had read so much about flying but right now, I felt like a child. I was clueless.

~~~

Halfway across the infinite void of space, I sat in silence, listening to the rebellions talk about how they would overthrow Bjorn's rule. Aaron took pride in leading them, promising them what seemed impossible even for a man like him.

He was a con in my eyes, someone who was hiding something from the others. I watched from where I sat, wondering whether it was even wise to board this ship. There was no question, they would kill me if they knew I was here.

"Celtic will be mine to rule when we return. I will be older and a great fighter." Catriona spoke proudly, "I have the king's blood after all. All of these men here, Aaron will train them so they can be my men. I will lead them to battle."

Sometimes I forget Just how shallow they are. Listening to Catriona made me realize that I should have let them go alone. They were nothing like Piper, just stupid children.