CHAPTER 58-SNOW FEELINGS

ASENATH POV

The cold wind blew by as Demetria, and I walked down the snow. She took me to a training arena where more Amdelonians spent their time. Even in the cold temperature, they trained in the snow, sparring and some practice archery.

"If it isn't Alpha affairs, I come down here and see just how pathetic everyone down here is," she spoke as we watched them from the empty seats of the arena.

Well, she sounded like mother for saying that.

"Sometimes, I go down and fight them, you know...have fun with it." She looked at me, her light eyes showing me a side that I clearly did not like.

"That must be nice for you," I said, not hiding my coldness.

"So, tell me. Is it true, the Emperor strikes fear even by a simple look?"

"Everything you ever heard is true."

"Everything? She really is incredible, is she?"

"Yes," I rolled my eyes,

"Have you ever seen her fight before?"

"Let me guess, you are an Emperor fanatic too?"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, I...don't you want to go down and spar a little?" I changed the conversation.

"And leave you here on your own? Absolutely not."

"I am not defenseless, I can defend myself"

"Yes, you can," she smiled but I just found her utterly unbearable.

"So, with regards to your invitation to dinner, does it still stand?"

"About that..."

"I'd love to spend a night with the beautiful Asenath."

"Princess Asenath," I corrected her, "You know, I think I want to return to my chambers now."

"Already?"

"Yes,"

"Alright then," she gave in, "Let's get you back to your room."

How can someone be pretty but awful at the same time. Demetria was too much to deal with. She was overconfident, too cocky and I noticed she loved to laugh at me, in a way that made me feel like I was stupid. Everything was a joke to her.

I would rather deal with the too serious Iris than a joke like Demetria.

Speaking of Iris, I missed her terribly. With every manor inconvenience in my life, I missed her more. It all felt like karma, everything that was happening to me. She must have prayed to the gods to punish me.

~~~

When we returned to the castle, there was nothing but silence between Demetria and me. It was clear that we would never try to talk to each other again. She barely waited for me, walking before me and clearly impatient to have me gone.

"I think leaving me here is fine." I spoke, "I will find my way up the stairs now."

"Alright then!" she said, "Let me get back to my duties,"

"Demetria," I called out as she walked away.

She turned around to face me.

"Forgive me for being so distant. I...my life has been rough lately."

"Distant? I did not even notice."

"You don't have to be nice about it."

"I am never nice about anything Princess Asenath." She stated,

"Well, I noticed that!"

"Exactly. I am blunt about a lot of things and well now you know why I am a loner. It was nice going out with you though, you're beautiful."

I hate it when they bring up my beauty in every conversation.

"So are you." I forced out the words,

There was silence.

"I have to go now..."

I watched her walk away, suddenly missing Iris more than I wanted to. Could Darya be right? That I did in fact love Iris? No, absolutely not! I shook my head, laughing at the thought. I knew how I felt about Iris.

There was no attraction towards her in any way. I trusted her, I adored Iris. She was like a sister to me.

And now, far away from her, I realized just how I could never replace that or the love that I had for Audacia. These were two important women in my life. And if I could, I would make a deal with my ancestors to bring them both to me.