CHAPTER 51-LETTING GO

ASENATH POV

Birds chirped as I walked down the thick forest, hands hugging my body. I had been avoiding this place since I lost Audacia. Deep inside, I knew that I could not ignore it any longer. I had to come here, to let her rest...for once and for all.

I blew a whistle which was our signal. I listened as the mocking jays carried the sound throughout the forest. It traveled away from me, and I followed it, hoping to find her on the other side.

"Over here!" she spoke from above.

I looked up quickly and there she was, up the tree branch, looking down at me, a smile on her face. I couldn't help but smile shortly. She swiftly jumped off the tree and landed before me, with a loud thud.

"Your majesty," she bowed slightly.

"Oh please," I rolled my eyes, folding my arms over my chest. "Get up, stop embarrassing yourself Audacia."

"Very well," she stood up straight.

I looked up the trees, and to my disappointment, there was no one. Audacia wasn't there. Tears welled up in my ears as I continued to wander into the forest, remembering the past, how happy I used to be.

The sound of the running river grew louder as I walked down the white sand, seeing the crystal waters that flowed calmly. I watched it, imagining her next to me.

"Fair enough," she spoke, "I pity you,"

"No, I pity you," I handed the flower to her.

"Me?" she slowly took it, her eyes resting on me.

"Yes, for you will miss me dearly in Zaleria." I swam closer to her and then rested my hands over her strong shoulders,

"I disagree."

"I miss you," I sniffed. "I miss you Audacia."

There was silence, nobody there to answer me. She was long gone.

"It is time to let you rest now..."

I wiped the tear that crept from my left eye before blowing a kiss to the river. She was never coming back. I had to accept that. I had to live for us. She would have wanted that, she would never want to see me cry.