CHAPTER 29-BANDITS

LEIF POV

The steam from the hot spring rose up in the air while I took a bath. The sun had just rose and it was still dark and quiet. I sighed, the conversation that I had had with Freya a few days ago never leaving me.

I looked at the sky, hoping for the gods to send me a sign, show me a revelation of who I was. Was Bjorn even my father?

"Bjorn," I muttered.

I then stepped out of the waters and dried myself before wearing my clothes and taking my weapon. It was time to return to the camp, to begin the day. Birds chirped within the lonely forest as I headed to the camp.

I watched the deer gallop away along with hares. Mushrooms grew under rocks and logs, and owls silently soured the sir, searching for prey. Piper would have loved this place. She would have taken some of the hares as pets. I knew her, she loved small fluffy animals.

Smoke was the first thing that I saw as I reached the camp. More of the soldiers were awake, having tea and conversations.

"Leif," Freya called out from one of the tents.

I turned to face her,

"A minute,"

I nodded, walking towards her while she disappeared inside the tent. I stepped inside as well and found her seated before the small table, with leather books and a lamp before her. I walked towards her before sitting down before her and looking down at the books.

"Ancient books," she spoke, opening the first book and showing me illustrations of women in foreign armor that carried weapons far more civilized than ours.

"Amdelonians." She looked at me, "Sworn enemies of the Celtic People."

"They look strong,"

"Aye. They all have gold components in their blood, just as we have iron." She explained, paging the book, "It is what gives them strength. They can wield weapons of magic because of this blood. They've conquered many planets in the past, ended species and rose to the top of the universe."

"I am nowhere near this."

"Yer easily killed a dragon, fought Skar without a weapon...yer are fast, I have seen you train every night Leif."

"Ye watch me? Why?" my forehead frowned.

"I..."

"Yer do not trust me?"

"I trust no men. Or women Leif." She confessed.

"What will ye do then?" I asked her, "Now that ye have the truth?"

She said nothing, only stared down at the illustrations of Amdelonians.

"Freya."

"There is nothing to do. I...this cannot be known. It shall stay between us. We are protecting the kingdom of yer father."

"He is not my father."

"Leif..."

"I cannot stay. I have the blood of the enemies Freya. Look at me, what good will I bring here?"

"Where will yer go?"

"Far away, away from my...the Celtic people."

"Stay."

"Why?"

"...because there is nowhere for ye to go. No one will know of ye self. Stay Leif. Ye are a good soldier. Yer have not caused any problems in the camp. The other soldiers enjoy yer company. I enjoy ye company."

"Ye do?"

"Aye." She nodded.

I smiled shortly, my cheeks flushing instantly.

"Now," she said, "Do ye want to track down the bandits along with the soldiers and I?"

"Aye," I nodded. "I want to."

~~~

When the sun set, Freya along with the other soldiers and I set out to track down the bandits who had camped beyond the river. They had set up a temporarily camp, until they could enter the kingdom and steal from the civilians.

I watched as Freya looked through the binoculars, watching the bandit from below. It was already dark, and we hid behind some bushes, while watching them from above the hill. The weather was extremely cold, and I had to blow air into my hands.

Freya's hand trembled while she watched the men from the binoculars. Misty breaths left her lips as she spoke,

"There are only seven of them, They have a small dragon with them, tied onto the ground and sheep."

"Let's go down then! What are we waiting for?" one man said.

"Very well," She said, putting down the binoculars before turning to face the rest of the soldiers. "We will go, be quiet. I do not want them to see us until we are on their territory."

"Aye."

We all began to move, grabbing our weapons before crawling down the hill, using the thick bushes as hiding. I could see the men leaving the cave, carrying lamps that shone dimly in the falling evening.

I held tightly onto the axe on my hand before silently running out, following the rest of the soldiers. I swung the weapon thus beheading one of the bandits that wandered alone. He fell down, dropping the lamp.

I then continued forward, hearing the screeching sound of the baby dragon which was tied onto giant chains. Freya rushed for it before beginning to free it while patting it for comfort. I could never understand the love that she held for these creatures. They were just reptiles.

The grunting of the soldiers entered my ears as I saw the tall but slim figure move around them, carrying a spear. She stabbed the men before jumping over them only to shove the weapon down their heads.

She was dangerous, I had to tread lightly.

I attacked her, swinging my axe at her quickly. She turned to face me and blocked the weapon with the spear before moving backwards and standing abnormally, like a wild cat. Tattoo covered her face and the amber eyes that she had shone in the dark.

I prepared to attack, legs spreading for balance.

She attacked, and I began to dodge her attacks as we danced into the night, with her slashing my arms and back with the sharp spear. I grunted, moving backwards, and collecting my breath.

"Ye will die," I hissed, before attacking her.

She dodged me before slashing me on the side of my face and kicking me on the chest. I moved backwards and she attacked again, planting both feet on my chest, and sending me off my feet.

I fell on my back and groaned, not getting up. I had underestimated her. She was light but clever enough to get me off my feet.

"Yor will die a slow painful death," she finally spoke, walking towards me. "Dear soldier."

She brought the spear over my head but the screeching sound from the right startled her. The baby dragon appeared and knocked her off her feet. She screamed, falling on the ground while the creature began to nibble at her.

"Yor darn animal!" she screamed, pushing the dragon away before reaching for her spear. Freya kicked her face and she fell on her side immediately and went silent.

"Freya..." I whispered, wincing from the pain.