4. New Day

New Day

(at the Angels' Orphanage, Sat, July 29, 2023, 07:00)

Ava's POV

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping outside my window. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, stretched my legs, and gazed out the window awhile.

A few minutes passed, so I decided to get up and went straight to the bathroom to freshen up. I brushed my teeth and took a quick bath. I went through my bag to get my clothes for today.

I chose to wear my skinny jeans and white long-sleeved shirt. I put on my shirt first, then my pants. I tucked the ends of my shirt inside my pants, then closed the zip. I put on my black flat shoes to complete my formal look.

After finishing, I went to my full-length mirror beside my bed. I took a wooden stool to sit on and grabbed my hairbrush. I decided to pull my wavy red hair into a ponytail.

I don't use makeup. I learned how to use those as one of the teachings I've had here in the orphanage, but I don't particularly appreciate putting them on. I just put on eyeliner and lip balm. Thank God for my natural thick eyebrows, lashes, and pink lips!

I took one last look in the mirror before leaving the room.

I went straight to the dining area. I know by this time, everyone is in there already. I was nearing the dining room when I heard someone call my name. I stopped to see who called me, and it was Ma Linda. Ma Linda is already 63 years old and is the oldest among the staff here.

"Good morning, Ma Linda!" I greeted her and kissed her on her cheek.

"Good morning, sweetie! You look so beautiful, as usual.", she said while eyeing me from head to toe. She caressed my cheek and smiled lovingly.

I chuckled. I always hear Ma Linda praise me for my looks. I don't see myself as beautiful, but hearing this praise for me gives me confidence.

"Thank you so much, Ma Linda. Let's go to the dining room.", I said as I held her hand gently, and we both went in.

"Good morning, everyone." I wished everyone well and took a seat at my usual spot.

They greeted me back, and soon, we started our breakfast. We spoke about my plans for today. I told them I would head straight to the apartment I leased a week ago. Then, I will go to an internet cafe to check my email for possible responses from the companies I sent my application to. They offered me money to help me get going, but I refused. I have made enough money by selling some of my drawings and through commissioned pieces. As I've said, I have already prepared for this moment.

An hour and a half has passed, and we're done with breakfast and little talks. I went back up to my bedroom and grabbed my things. Some of the younger teens helped me with some of them, and we headed to the living room. We engaged in a conversation for a while. They told me they would miss me and hoped I would visit them often.

Ma Rosa then came to me with a box in her hands. She held my hand and looked at me dearly.

"Ava, Christopher wants you to have this." she handed me the box and told me to open it.

I sat on one of the couches and opened the box. Oh My!!! It's a brand-new phone!

"Ma Rosa, this is a phone!" I exclaimed. I can't believe I will be having a phone today!

"Yes, dear. Christopher had it sent yesterday and told me to give it to you today. That way, you can communicate more often. You can also use this when you get a job, you know.", she explained.

"Oh, his number and the orphanage's phone are already there. He also asked that you call him after you have settled down".

"Oh my gosh! I can't believe it! This phone looks so expensive. Okay, Ma Rosa, I will call him later to thank him personally! Thank you so much, Ma Rosa!" I stood up and hugged her right away.

We talked a little more before I jumped into the cab waiting for me. I am now on my way to my apartment.

***

(at Ava's apartment building, Sat, July 29, 2023, 9:07)

Ava's POV

I arrived after almost an hour on the road. Traffic was rather heavy, though it was already nearly 9 in the morning.

I went inside my apartment building and then straight to the elevator. My unit is on the 3rd floor. The elevator doors opened, and I got in. Then, I pressed on number 3. Three other people got in, too, and the doors closed as soon as they were in.

I arrived on my floor. I headed to my unit. I took out the keys from my bag and pushed them to the door knob. My door opened, and I got in. I put all my belongings on the floor, closed the door, and ran towards the windows to see the external view.

My apartment unit is a little small, but it's beautiful. It has a small living room, a kitchen/dining area, a bathroom, and a bedroom. It still needs more things, but I will slowly fill this place with stuff after I land a job.

Suddenly, I remembered I had a new phone. Before deciding to call Christopher, I scanned my email to see if there were responses. Nada!

"Oh well, this is just my first day out. I will have more opportunities.", I said to myself.

I decided to check on the online bulletin post for any vacancies. There, I saw a company looking for a PA. Woah!!!! What?!?! Is this serious? USD 15,000 a month?

Is this even real? Okay, so 9 hours a day. The shift starts at 9 am, includes a 2-hour lunch break, and ends at 8 pm. Okay. Hmmmm. I still need to acquire some work experience. I have learned a lot in the orphanage; I can speak four languages well. But do I have a chance for this kind of pay? Ugh! Whatever. I will send my details here, and let's see.

I typed in all the required information, and I made sure to emphasize my best skills, including the languages I speak. All done! All I have to do now is wait.

I didn't have to wait long; I received a response immediately. The email asked if I could attend an initial interview today at 2 pm, And I replied yes. Then the email just said, "Good luck and see you soon!"

They're really in need of a PA right now. Okay then. I have to prepare for my interview later. I will call Christopher at lunchtime today.

.🖤 to be continued 🖤