1. A New Life

A New Life

(at the Angels' Orphanage, Fri, July 28, 2023, 20:10)

Ava's POV

Sitting on my bed, I am trying to hold my tears back, reminiscing how my life was here for as long as I can remember. I have lived here in this orphanage my whole life. The people here are very admirable. They treat us well, but unfortunately, they must let me go. I turned 18 a few months ago, and it's time to see the world outside.

I feel sad. I am terrified, in a way, too. It will be my first time facing the world by myself. But, at the same time, I feel empowered and confident that I can do it.

During my time here in the orphanage, I busied myself learning. I have prepared myself for this time to come. This moment in my life is inevitable. I knew I would have to leave this place and face the world eventually, so I did my best to learn.

We had a lot of people coming here, providing company and lessons to those who are willing. And so I did. I became close to one of the people who visited us. His name is Christopher Anderson. He's ten years older than me, and he's become like an older brother to me. He comes from a wealthy family and owns his own company, too.

Their company has an annual charity event, and he enjoys the fun. We met five years ago when they started their charity project; our orphanage was the lucky one they'd chosen. We instantly clicked, and he helped me with everything I wanted to learn.

Not to brag, but I'm a fast learner. I have developed my skills in drawing, dressmaking, cooking, and other things. I am also exceptionally talented. I sing, I dance. I have also taught myself French, Italian, and Spanish with the help of the books provided to me by Christopher. Aside from English, these three other languages are my favorite. I love them.

My thoughts were interrupted by a soft knock on the door.

"Come in, please.", I said.

"Hi, Ava. How are you?" that was Madam Rosa—the head of this orphanage.

"Hi, Ma Rosa. I'm fine. I just finished packing my things, so I'll be ready by tomorrow.", I responded with a small smile.

After my response, Ma Rosa smiled bitterly.

"Oh, Ava. I'm going to miss you. I know everyone here will, too. I'm sad to think that you will not be here anymore. We will undoubtedly miss hearing your voice here."

As I listened to Ma Rosa, I couldn't help but feel a lump forming in my throat. Deep emotions filled her words, and I, too, struggled to hold back tears.

"Oh, Ma Rosa, you're making me cry. I will surely miss you all, too. Thank you so much for everything. My life has been perfect all because of you.

Don't worry, Ma Rosa. Once I find my footing, I will come back here to visit you. I hope I can repay all your kindness soon.", I said, weeping a little.

"Oh dear, don't stress about that. You visiting us here someday would be good enough. I want you to go out there and see the world. I wish you all the best, sweetie.", she said, then hugged me closely.

I hugged her tightly, smiling. I'll miss them all.

"Oh, by the way, Christopher called last night. He won't be able to come here tomorrow to see you as he's in Las Vegas. But he asked me to wish you good luck.", she said when he let go of me from the hug.

"Oh, I see. Please send him my thanks for everything, Ma Rosa. I am so grateful to him for all the help he's given me. I'm sad, though; I haven't seen him for quite a while.", I said with a pout on my lips.

Ma Rosa giggled slightly at what I said and gently stroked my hair.

"Oh dear, he wants to be here for you. He likes you, you know.", Ma Rosa said, beaming widely.

"I like him, too. He's like an older brother to me.", I replied.

"Well, we all don't think he sees you as a younger sister, though.", she said with a teasing smile.

I got confused with what she said, so I looked at her with a questioning gaze.

"What do you mean, Ma Rosa?" I asked, eagerly waiting for her to explain.

"Nothing, dear.", she chuckled, "I have to go now. I'll leave you to rest so you will have all the energy for tomorrow." she kissed my hair and slowly walked to the door.

She pulled it open and looked back at me.

"Good night, Ava." Then she turned and walked out, carefully shutting the door.

I was still baffled about what Ma Rosa said, and I could not react to her.

I sighed and lay on the bed when I heard the door closed.

"I hope tomorrow is gonna be a good day for me." I closed my eyes and eventually fell asleep, pushing the confusing thoughts aside.

.🖤 to be continued 🖤