Symbol

A young girl stands on the roof of a towering building, gently stepping on the concrete as she breathes a sigh of exhaustion.

It's IRyS and, frankly, she looks even more tired than before.

The night has fallen and swallowed light, leaving only the streetlights and the headlights of the cars below to illuminate the somber atmosphere.

"...What do I do..." She thinks to herself as she walks closer to the edge of the building before promptly sitting down on it, her legs hanging idly as she stares down at the traffic below.

"...This is all too much..." Her mind is filled with thoughts of this kind.

She can't bring herself to think about this anymore, so, she relents and lays down.

She bends her knee and puts her hands on her stomach, sighing again before closing her eyes.

It takes a few minutes, but slowly, she falls asleep.
.
.
.

The sound of steps on icy ground causes her eyes to jolt open and she quickly realizes... She's in a totally different place.

A barren, cold land that stretches as far as you can see fills her vision.
The white is daunting and her sleepiness quickly wears off as her gaze focuses on what's ahead, looking through the flakes of snow that rain down to block her sight.

A massive pillar of light. Tendrils of energy pour out of it towards the sky as more and more ice is pulled from the floor IRyS stands on, picked up and put into orbit around this strange... object.

"...N-no, stop..." IRyS despairs as she realizes she's in another one of Envy's memories.

The chunks of frost crash against one other, sending fragments flying in the air.

A gust of wind blows more snow into her eyes, causing her to blink... but once she opens her eyes she notices that... something appeared in the middle of that pillar.

A black mass, a complete contract stands there. It holds the shape of a human, yet it has no features of any kind.

"...What... is that...?" She questions herself.

The figure slowly leaves the beam, inching closer by the second.

The black of its body starts to disappear, breaking off into the air like the scales of a lizard as it sheds.

Bit by bit, it turns into a perfect replica of... Envy, no... Immortality, wearing the same outfit he wore in the first memory of him...

It smirks as it finally becomes a complete duplicate of him.

"...Hello, Immortality." It speaks with his voice.

The world sorrounding them turns to black, just like the void that Envy's mind was. A simple darkness with no life or distinct feeling to speak of.

...Simple emptiness.

"...Hello, David." IRyS's mouth moves involuntarily, Envy's voice leaving it instead of her own.

"...W-what... I didn't say that..." Is what she tries to say, yet no words come out.

"...Don't call me that." Its voice grows stern.

"..."

"...My name is Fear."

"...So you're buying into her bullshit too." She speaks yet again.

"...This is who I... am meant to be."

"...Because you're nothing without it."

"...ARE YOU?!" It quickly barks out, its eyes narrowing intensely as it stares him down.