Mind

Envy closes his eyes as the girls take their leave on the other side, only YAGOO and Enma staying behind to discuss.

The tendrils stretch and reach every corner of the white void he's trapped in, mapping it all to give him the image of the room.

"...Why...?" He thinks to himself as sweat drops fall from his forehead.

"...I don't want this..."

"...I don't deserve this..."

"...Why...?"

"...Death... why did you make me so...? Why couldn't have you left me be...?"

"...I could've been happy..."

He grits his teeth in silent anger.

"...Death..."

"...Death."

He feels his heart pump.

"...Death."

Anger surges through his bones as YAGOO and Enma stop talking to look at him.

"...Death...!" His inner voice is closer to a growl as he clenches his fists.

"...You took EVERYTHING FROM ME!"

The arcs run rampant in the room, making it almost impossible to see inside. The two left behind watch it happen, unsure of how to approach the situation. The sweat on his body is evaporated by the heat. His pupils the only part visible through the bright ball of energy.

"WHO GAVE YOU THE RIGHT?!"

He can't contain himself any longer... his voice echoes in the empty space as YAGOO and Emma finally decide to run out.

"MINNNND!" His scream resounds through the entire building, the lights blow as the glass shatters... then he calms down.

"...Mind...?" He says out loud... wondering why he said that.

"...Mind... who's... Mind...?" His eyes dart around as he stares at the ground, probing his memory for any hint as to why he screamed out that word...

And then... a realization is made. Memories of lives past flooded his brain. Blood drips from his eyeballs as his head rises, looking forwards as his mouth hangs open.

The impact of all these memories, blurred and vivid... so many, more than anything in the world. So much, yet, through them all, one thing is clear. Mind. The reason why he lives. To kill and be killed.

"...Mind."

A scene plays out in his head, he finds himself in the same position, shackled, stuck in place as two women stand in front of his kneeling form. Two replicas, impossible to discern stare him down.

"...Brother, I know you want this to end. I do too, so, please, just let go of this act. A stoic man, perfect, able to do everything... that's not who you are~"

"..." He says nothing, looking down at the dirty, muddy ground he's on.

"...I know you hate me, I do. I made a mistake all those years ago. I didn't know what else to want though. I wanted you to come back, more than anything. I wanted you to come home, alive... I wanted Mother to heal from her sickness... I wanted us all to be happy. A family... it's all I've ever wanted."

"..." He grits his teeth just the same he did before.

"...Look at me, Brother."

He doesn't listen to her. Her eyes bore into the back of his head as she watches from above before suddenly pulling his head back by the hair, lifting his face to meet her gaze.

"...You play this fucking game with me... you think this fun, don't you? Do you know what I hate more than anything in the world?"

"..."

"...The trope of a stoic man. One who can do anything and everything because he's just that great. I despise it, yet I don't want to despise you too, Brother. I want to care for you and I want you to care for me... because we're family. We always will be."

"...Fuck you, Mind." Her eyebrows furrow in response, a furious smile growing on her face.

"Ahahaha..." Her head falls down in defeat as she lets go of his hair. She stands up, backing away from him to reveal her clothing. A long, white, short-sleeved dress that falls to her feet and small, black heels. Her complexion and appearance strikingly similar to that of Death's...

The environment is that of a rundown German town in front of Envy's eyes, behind him a large forest filled with dead trees and a dreadful atmosphere.
The ground is muddy and the sky is clouded, threatening to pour water onto the three.

"...Ahahaha..." She twirls around, laughing to herself, as if internally berating her thoughts.

She suddenly stops...

"...Of course, Brother... that's who you are..."

She stretches her arms out and looks to the sky, like she finally came to a realization after denying it for far too long...

"...The great concept of Immortality, perseverant, indifferent, unstoppable!"

"You're a marvel, aren't you, Brother?!"
She looks back down to him.

"You'll never give up, will you?! What I did, I did because I cared for you! Because Mother wanted to see you home! The day she died because of that fucking sickness, where were you?! Fighting a fucking war! Because of what?! Your ego?! You wanted to prove yourself to that old fucking man?! He died for nothing! And if it wasn't for me, you would've died just like him! Miserable, depressed, WORTHLESS!"

"...M-mind, calm do-..."

"Shut up, Tech. Shut up. This is what he deserves!"

"...!" Envy gasps as he snaps back from his newly acquired memories of the past...

"...So... Death... Mors... is the role you've taken in this scenario... fine." His eyes burn brighter than ever with hatred...

*Mors- The personification of death of Roman mythology. Equivalent to Thanatos.

The arcs of energy suddenly calm down, focusing on the connection between the shackles of his hands and the chains they're attached to.

Slowly, but surely, the chain is encircled by the energy, cut away at with incredible precision, leaving absolutely no jagged edges, almost like it was severed on an atomic level.

The chains break off his arms and the energy moves to his legs, doing the same and allowing him to stand up.

His expression is cold and lifeless as he stares into nothingness.

A few seconds go by and he looks up, slowly floating towards the ceiling...