A war with rules Pt. 1

"...Envy... do you know why I named you so? It's because it's the one word I can think of that can describe you. You hate everything... Your own kind for throwing you out like nothing. You hate us gods because we live in greatness, unlike you... You hate me for trying to kill, yet you know it yourself... you're not even alive in the first place. Just a walking, talking... corpse~ You hate yourself for being so wrong, but... what don't you hate, Envy?"

A woman with long, cascading and impenetrably dark hair and red eyes, holding a wooden scythe with a metallic blade stands before him... Death.

Clothed in a black, frilled sleeve dress that reached the ground and exposed her right thigh, she steps closer...

His expression is unchanged, yet she can see through him. Death knows us better than we know ourselves.

"...Envy, I know you better than anyone. Just give in... let me end your suffering. You'll be happy, won't you? You don't have much time before the others arrive."

"...No."

"...You want it to end. I know you do... I can give you the relief you crave so much." She speaks as if she wants the best for him, yet he knows the truth. The sadistic truth behind the appearance of the goddess before him.

"...I'll kill you... and then I'll kill the rest of The Pantheon. Whether it's my brother or someone else... it doesn't matter."

"..." She stops, only a few meters in front of him.

"...I'll never stop."

"...Well then... you may have dodged fate once... this time will be different~"
She happily licks her lips clean of blood and slowly leans forward...

Envy opens his eyes yet again, breathing heavily as he does so. Finding himself back in Gura's room, the sun has risen and he gets up soon after taking a few moments of time to gather his thoughts.

The door opens and Gura steps into the room with bags under her eyes. It seems she didn't sleep last night.

"...A... How're you doin'?"

"...A?"

"...Ye, That's right!" She purposefully shortens her affirmation before giggling.

"...Right."

"Well, if you'll excuse me... I gotta sleep." She quickly walks over to the bed and plops down onto it face first.

"..." He just watches her in confusion as she remains still, not breathing before finally rolling over to face upwards because she couldn't hold her breath any longer.

"...I'll take my leave." He turns to the door and opens it.

"...'kay! See ya later, alligator!"

"..." He still doesn't get what she's saying, so he just shrugs it off and leaves the room and meeting Amelia right outside her own room.

"Oh, hey Envy! Come on in!"

She opens the door and invites him in.

"...Why?"

"I wanna talk to you over a game of chess."

"...what's chess?"

"...Bollocks, okay... Uh, come in and I'll explain."

"...fine."

They both walk into her room, finding themselves in an office akin to one from the nineteen hundreds.

Amelia steps behind her desk and opens a drawer before placing a chess table onto the desk.

"C'mon, sit down." She motions to the chair opposite of her own.

"..." Envy does as told and sits down on the chair while Amelia sets up the chess pieces.

"...Explain."

"Yeah, yeah. No need to act so aggressive. Alright..." She exhales as she gets comfy in her chair after finally setting everything up.

"...I'll explain the rules. Okay, so... Let's start from here." She places her finger on the rook.

"This is the rook. He can move in four directions. Up, down, right, left to any column."

"..." Envy watches her explain without speaking.

She moves on.

"This is the bishop. He can move in diagonals."

"..." Nothing.

She moves on.

"...This is the knight. He can move in L shapes. Do you... understand?"

"...Yes." Save face, Envy. Save face.

"...this is the queen. She can move in the shape of a star which means she can go up, down, right, left and in diagonals. Do you... Really understand?"

"...Of course." He doesn't get it at all. He can't even see it without the small shocks he needs to send out at a constant pace just to understand everything.

"Alright then... This is the king and he can move in every direction, but can only move one tile. And last, but not least... we have the pawn. The pawn can only go forwards and attack to its upper left and right. Meaning that if a pawn meets another pawn face to face, they can't move from that spot and can't hurt eachother either."

"...Understood." The only thing he understood was how the king works.

Envy can tell he's not going to have a good time...

~~~~~
I'm very sorry for making such short chapters. I don't quite have any time to work on them and so I write at night, when I'm already tired.
I'll try and make it up since after this week ends, I'll have an entire free week to work on the story.
Thank you for your patience with me and, yet again, I apologize.