Suffering

"..." IRyS's voice gives out, the words stuck in her throat. She feels overwhelmed, cold...

Envy pulls away from her, standing up and backing away a few steps. They maintain eye contact.

Envy stretches out his arms, presenting the void sorrounding the two.

"...You should have never crawled your way into my head, parasite." His voice is laced with venom, like barbed wire.

"... I-I..." She stares at him, sweat dripping down the side of her face.

"...But that doesn't matter anymore... I will make you suffer... as you should."

He takes another step backwards... disappearing into the darkness.

"...?" IRyS blinks and, to her surprise, everything changed.

She's now in the middle of a barren, desertous land. Arches of hardened sandstone rise and fall back into the ground. It's a dark, cold night. The air bites at her skin as the moon shines brightly ahead, perched just above her head were you to look at IRyS from behind.

Hills of grains stretch out far and wide, as wide as the eye can see.

...Oddly similar to the dunes of a desert.

Five unnamed graves are lined before her and farther on, in the distance, she can make out the shape of a large, rectangular building. Red alarms blare on the walls of the structure.

She's on a large platform of hardened sand, still unable to stand up.

"...What is this...?" She thinks to herself as she inspects her environment.

The sound of a motorcycle reaches her ears, but before she can look back, the origin drifts past her. A figure dressed in a black, slim military vest doubled by a black turtleneck sweater hidden under and black cargo pants complimented by black heavy-duty shoes enters her point of view. She instantly recognizes his face.

"...It's him..."

He unmounts the vehicle, turning off the engine before standing in front of the graves. The moonlight shines down onto him, overshadowing IRyS's body.

"...Hey, it's... been a long time."

"...What is he..." She tilts her head in confusion.

"...I did it. It's... it's over." He smiles, though she can't see it.

"...?"

"...I killed her... so..." He reaches into the pockets of his cargo pants with his left hand, slowly pulling out a military-grade knife from them.

He raises both the knife and his right arm, placing it against his palm.

He presses down... harder and harder, until blood starts to leave it.

"..." IRyS swallows another lump in her throat at his actions...

The crimson fluid drips down his hand, falling onto the hard sand...

"...I can die..." He sighs a sigh of relief, a single tear falling and mixing in with the small pool of blood at his feet.

Without warning, the sound of helicopter blades reaches their ears, prompting Envy to turn around to look at it, yet IRyS... can't.

"IMMORTALITY!" A deafening yell echoes and reverberates throughout the arches of sandstone, bouncing around and back.

"..." He doesn't answer, instead, he simply stares as the helicopter's light shines down onto him.

Two figures jump out of it, a pair of women. Both are dressed in an attire similar to Envy's. The one who yelled speaks again, her long white hair flowing as wind blows past. The moonlight reflects off her pearly white eyes and pale skin, more akin to a vampire than anything.