Nature and Picnics Pt. 2

Mumei stares at the two, all three forming a triangle. Her eyes are dark, yet her tone is sweet.

"...So, care to explain yourself?"

"...I was reassuring Fauna of something."

"Ye-yeah! We were... just having a moment!"

"...A moment of what...?" She steps closer.

"...It wasn't an-..."

"I don't care what it was. I just want an explanation as to why all the girls are getting oh, so close to you... so quickly."

"..."

"...Do you not know, Envy? Well, I think I know... you're jealous, aren't you Fauna?"

Mumei walks closer to Fauna, unblinking and with silent footsteps.

"...What...? No, I'm not! I was just makin-!"

"...Him and I... We made a promise to stay together, to care for each other... you wouldn't unders-!"

"that's enough."

"..." Mumei looks over to him and sees the stern look on his face.

"...Why are you defending her?"

"...Because she isn't perfect. She's not fine."

"...What's that supposed to mean? Look at her, she's always so happy... we aren't like that, are we?"

"...Fauna, tell her how you felt."

"...I felt alone when I saw you with him... I thought we wouldn't be the same... I-i didn't know what to do!"

"...And how did that get to you hugging him so... happily?"

"...We're not the only one with problems, Mumei." Envy speaks out for Fauna while making some space in between the two.

"...She wanted to kill me now so things wouldn't change between you and her. So that you would keep spending time with her. She was afraid of being left alone, Mumei. She was just afraid."

"...That's selfish."

"...It's not selfish. It's human. We all want to keep what we hold dearest. She cares for you... it's as simple as that."

Mumei's gaze returns to normal as she relaxes her voice.

"...I'm sorry."

"Tell that to Fauna."

Envy moves out of the way so the two concepts are now face to face again. Tears threaten to spill from Fauna's eyes as she stares at Mumei.

"...I'm sorry." She repeats, more shyly this time as she realized just how hurt Fauna felt by her remarks.

The Kirin gives her a forced smile as she closes her eyes.

"...I-It's fine, Mumei. I don't mind."

"...let's go back to the picnic. All of us." Envy puts his arm gently around Fauna's back as he walks past Mumei. Although it's almost unnoticeable, a small glint of sadness appears in Mumei's eyes... it seems she's finding it hard to simply forgive Fauna... after all she did try to kill the one person who offered her any kind of understanding in her life.

What could have been more than six thousand years of time that Mumei's existed... throughout all of it... she's only lost. Things such as her very self... again and again, over and over with no end in sight. No one understood that about her, no one bothered to understand that about her, but she thought of it. The memories she's lost, all replaced by the dread of knowing that they're gone.

How many times has she wondered about just how many times she lost her memories?

...Does it matter to anyone?

"...Stop doing that... hold me too..." She mumbles to herself before following after them.

~~~~~

"And then he told me that he once met a man who was just like me! He said that our instincts control us, not the other way 'round! As she quotes him, Gura deepens her voice to sound just a little more authentic.

"...Humu, humu." Ina attentively listens, lost in thought. She didn't think Envy would be able to diffuse the situation like that... But he pulled through.

At the same time, Calli and Kiara were paying close attention to Gura's explanation. Calli wondered if what Gura said about 'the man' Envy knew was true, while Kiara seemed far more convinced that Envy isn't that bad after all. On the other hand, Amelia was surprised by the fact that Envy just took the hits instead of fighting back like he did before... like his intentions just changed all of a sudden... Wait, the first time they met... he was clearly intent on killing them... But now? He's helping them? Did he have a change of heart... Or maybe...

"...He's using us?" She thinks out loud as she loses the mario kart round against Calli.

"...What was that, Ame?" The reaper's apprentice asks.

"Uh, nothing!" She quickly denies as she falls back into thought.

"...Doesn't look like nothing."

"...I was just thinking. Didn't Envy's intentions just change all of a sudden?"

"...I know. Too sudden. Think we should watch him?"

"...No, I'll get it out of him."

"...How exactly?"

"...You'll see, Calli. Hah! I won!"

"Guh! I wasn't paying attention! You just got lucky, deadbeat!" She bashes her nintendo switch against her knee.

"...Lucky just like your mom was when I pounded her last night!" She snickers with a hand covering her mouth.

"I don't have a mom!"

"Cuz I left her looking like dust after I was done!"

"You littl-!"

"...Hey everybody~ Do you mind if we join in~?" Fauna asks. It seems she recovered from Mumei's harsh words.

Envy stands in between the Kirin and owl girl as he holds onto Fauna's shoulder, keeping her close while Mumei keeps a... neutral expression.

"Oh, not at all. Come on, you three! I think we can make space!" Replies Kiara while Calli looks at Envy cautiously. Amelia isn't paying attention on the other hand. She's sure that Envy won't try anything here. He's walking side by side with gods after all.

Kiara, Gura and Ina scoot over to make space for the three new individuals and Envy is now stuck between the shark girl and the Kirin.

...The atmosphere is as thick as a bowl of oatmeal.