Two polar concepts

As the young detective walks through the halls of the dormitory, a sudden thought enters her mind.

"Wait... My coat! He took my coat! God damnit, Oh, forget it!"

She decides to just leave it as is for the night and get it back tomorrow.

~~~~~

A figure slowly descends from the clear skies onto the ground of Chichibu-Tama-Kai National Park, walking around shortly before finding a tree to lean back on, sliding down the tree and resting his head on its hard bark. He closes his eyes in an attempt to sleep, but in his small moment of weakness, he fails to hear two individuals doing the same as him, leaning against the tree. The first one's eyes glow like a ripe, golden apple, while the other's eyes glow like amber in sunlight.

"...Don't be alarmed. We're not here to hurt you after all~" A soothing, almost motherly voice speaks from his right, causing him to open his eyes abruptly.

"Haah... he was trying to sleep!" An accusatorial sigh and whisper is heard from his left.

"...I know Mumei, but I just couldn't help it anymore~ I've been meaning to talk to you, Envy."

"...With what purpose?"

"...Curiosity and nothing else~" The girl now named Mumei answers for her.

"We are, by the way, a part of the idols which you'll be guarding. So it's best that you get along with us~" The gentle voice from the right warns the man.

"...Who are you?"

"Oh my, we forgot to introduce ourselves. Well then, I am Ceres Fauna, the keeper of Nature and the one to your left is Mumei Nanashi, the protector of Civilization~"

"...So what are you?"

"...Hmm, I think it's a little arrogant to call ourselves gods... rather... we are measures of sorts." Mumei answers.

Envy perks up at the word 'gods', his guard raising for a moment before lowering back down as she finishes her sentence.

"...A measure to maintain I assume?"

"Yes, that's what I believe at least..."

"...You don't sound confident."

"...I can't help it. I forget things all the time after all..."

"...How long have you been watching me?"

"...Don't you think it's time we get to ask you questions?" Fauna asks with a hint of irritation.

"..."

"I'll go first then~ You aren't human. I can tell... so what exactly are you, Envy?"

"...I am human."

"...It's not nice to lie. I can tell you aren't human. You're more... connected to nature after all~"

"...An elf."

"Hmm~ I guessed so, Mooms~"

"Aww... I was hoping you'd be... a demon maybe?"

"No, I'm not. If you're here to pester me then leave."

"We're not here to pester you, Envy. We just wanted to get to know you. And to answer your last question... we've been watching you ever since you stepped foot into this world~" The Keeper reveals.

"...I'm going to sleep."

"Hmm... so will I." Fauna says as she closes her eyes as well.

Seeing this, Mumei decides to do the same, though she can't stand mosquitoes. Oh, hey look! There's one right there buzzing right in her ear!

"...Fauna, could you please stop the mosquitoes? You know I don't like them."

"...Hmm, no. I'm sorry, but I won't kill my own creations. That would make me a horrible creator, wouldn't it?"

"...Tr-!"

Mumei's cut off by the crackling of electricity as it fries all the mosquitoes in the sorrounding area, one by one, in chains.

"Uuuu~! That wasn't nice!"

"Well, I suppose that solves that... thank you, Envy."

Wordlessly, the man goes back to resting.