Chapter 143

Xue Meili woke up early, unable to sleep due to the little bun that kept kicking her in her sleep. Drinking tea, Yi Changpu went up to her and kissed her head. "How are you, my empress?" He had a loving gaze to her, seeing that she looked exhausted.

"Carrying this little bun is exhausting. They never stop kicking me and wake me up now." Xu Meili didn't want to complain, but she hadn't gotten any decent sleep because of their bun.

"Sorry, it's your husband's fault for letting this happen." He didn't sound sorry as he chuckled and hugged her close. Placing his hand onto her belly, he could feel their child kick against his hand.

"There they are again. They always seem to know when it's you." Xu Meili complained, seeing how they were kicking again. "They are going to grow up naughty like their father."

"You don't know that. Maybe they will be very mature like their mother." He chuckled again, poking his wife on the nose as he kissed her head. "Are you at least feeling better than before? You were really sick in the first trimester." He worried about his wife and empress.

"En, it's not as bad as before, but... she is still lingering in the shadows with her people watching us for an opportunity." Xu Meili was about to take a sip of her tea when she stopped and poured it out.

Yi Changpu saw the tea she poured out; he knew it was likely poisoned from her movement. He glanced at his shadow guards, who immediately left to look for the culprit. "She seems to linger in the shadows very well. She still has my brother's son as well as my nephew." Yi Changpu knew the fallen empress would use his nephew to take the throne.

"Changpu, please don't kill an innocent child." Xu Meili may not like the fallen empress, but she couldn't find it in herself to have children be killed when it wasn't their fault. "He can't choose his parents, but he can choose his true path. I don't want to harm a child that isn't at fault here."

Yi Changpu knew Xu Meili would want to avoid harming children, but he didn't want to hurt his brother's son. "I know. I don't plan to kill him, but the council will want to get rid of him. I have to find an escape path for him." He had to avoid letting his nephew get harmed by the council.

Xu Meili sighed, leaning back on his body as she relaxed. "I'm glad that you won't harm him. Let's do our best to help him and stop that woman from bringing more harm and destruction." Xu Meili knew that they had to stop the fallen empress from bringing destruction to their empire.

"Your Highness, we've found the maid who poisoned the tea." A shadow guard arrived, kneeling as he informed the emperor, whose demeanor changed completely. It was deadly.

***

Lin Ning woke up sore; she could feel her body still resting next to Cao Peizhi's body. Knowing they had done it fully, she could sense that he was asleep, as if this was the best sleep he's ever had. Bringing her hand to touch his cheek gently, she could feel his handsome face as she felt her heart loving this man right in front of her. 'I can't leave you.'

Cao Peizhi woke up, grabbing her hand; he kissed her palm after. "Are you okay?" He questioned, ensuring she didn't feel too much pain from yesterday. They were pretty active, seeking each other's love and attention.

"E-En, just a little sore." She told him, slightly blushing as she said that. "You?"

"Pfff, funny to ask me when you were the one who had more to endure." He hugged her close into his arms, kissing her on the head as he sighed happily, that is. "I've never been happier in my life. You were the only one who brought that happiness to me." Cao Peizhi couldn't stop loving this woman that was in his life.

"I... I may not remember much of my past, but I hope that I can come to remember it within time. My heart tells me that you are someone who holds me, dear, in his heart. Can you keep waiting for me if I never get my memories back?" Lin Ning placed her hand on his chest, his heart beating against her palm.

"I will always wait for you. I've said it repeatedly, and I will not stop repeating it if it tells you how much I love you. " Cao Peizhi wasn't going to give up; they had been through so much. He didn't want to ever see her gone from him again.

Lin Ning was happy; she could feel her heart beating. "Hey, I think we should get up now. We've been in here for quite a long time. We can't keep the emperor and empress waiting." Pointing out that they had to leave their room before the day ended.

"I don't want to leave. Let's stay in here a little longer." Cao Peizhi could see that noon was coming around.

Just then....

"Mother! Father! Mother!" Cao Anli and Cao Yating were shouting from afar, running directly in their way. Both of them immediately freaked out and started to get up and dressed.

"You didn't tell me that the kids were coming today!" Lin Ning had no idea when Cao Peizhi would bring their kids over.

"I had no idea they were coming this time either. I didn't even have them planned to come today." Cao Peizhi didn't plan anything and sighed; he knew that it was Yi Changpu who probably had his people go and bring his kids over. 'I will give him a good punch when I see him.' Cao Peizhi wasn't going to let Yi Changpu off the hook.

"Mother! Father!" Cao Anli and Cao Yating barged into the room, seeing both of their parents flustered and panicked with their clothes looking a tad messy.

"Yating'er? Anli'er? Who brought you both here?" Lin Ning went up to the two of them first, putting on a sweet motherly smile at her two children.

"Uncle Changpu brought us! He said that father needs to go and talk to him while we take care of mother! He said that father probably hurt mother, so we came as soon as we could!" Cao Anli shouted, hugging his mother with his sister and staring back at his father, who was eyeing the two who barged into the room.