Chapter 119

"What does your father do?" Lin Ning sat down at an open table in Blue Lotus Pavillion; she decided to talk and learn more about these two children. 'These two children are very confident and brave to come out here on their own.' She had bought them some steam buns for the time being to eat.

"Father is a great military strategist! He is very close with the emperor!" Cao Anli said and took a bite from the steam bun.

"Mhm! Father is mighty and loyal! He has always been waiting for mother and refuses to take in another woman!" Cao Yating then said after.

"Oh, your father sounds like a really good man. It's good that he isn't like those other men who take in more women." Patting both of the twin's heads, she didn't know how long they would be stuck with her. 'Wait! If they are children from a compelling family and have a connection to the emperor... Doesn't that mean that I will be seen as a kidnapper!?!?!' Lin Ning did not think things through and knew that these two children would indeed have her be sent to prison.

"Father misses you a lot, mother. He never stops to think about you all the time." Cao Yating hugged Lin Ning on the arm, wishing that they would all be able to return together.

"Father always told us that mother was a good person from a young age. She was gorgeous too." Cao Anli then hugged Lin Ning on the other arm.

Lin Ning felt like her heart would jump out of her chest, 'Why are they so cute?! Who is the father and mother of these two children!?' She seriously wanted to know who they were.

"Sweet candies! Sweet candies!"

The three of them heard the candy seller shout; Lin Ning could sense the two children who wanted candy. "You two stay here. I will be back with candy, okay?"

"En!" (Cao Anli & Cao Yating)

Lin Ning had separated from the twins, going on to the candy seller who was quite far from them. Lin Ning was about to take the candy back when she noticed a lot of heavy footsteps and the sound of armor that was not the usual town people. "Sir, what is happening?" She asked the candy seller.

"Oh, it seems the emperor and his military strategists sent some men to look for two children. You can't exactly escape death if you mess with the children of the emperor's military strategists." (Candy Seller)

"Why is that?" (Lin Ning)

"Well, it happened way back then. The emperor's military strategist had a woman by his side who loved him. Trust me, no one wanted to marry a crippled man at that time, but a miracle happened that he is no longer a crippled man in society today." (Candy Seller)

"What? How did a crippled man turn to not being crippled?" (Lin Ning)

"I have no clue. It remains a secret, and no one has really seen his left arm since layers of leather cover it. Oh, it seems they found the children down by the Blue Lotus Pavillion." The candy seller then said, resuming his job of selling candy. Lin Ning felt fear and ran off to sense them from afar.

***

"Anli! Yating! Why are you both here?!" Cao Peizhi had rushed to his two children once the guards found them at the Blue Lotus Pavillion, seeing that they were not injured anywhere.

"Father isn't mad with us?" Cao Yating was about to 'cry' again.

"No, I can never get mad, you two. I was scared that I would never be able to see either of you." Cao Peizhi then hugged his two children, carrying them into his arms.

"Father! We can't leave mother! She went to get us candy from the candy seller!" Cao Anli pointed at the candy seller, who was only shouting to advertise his candy. "Eh... uuuwwwuuu..." Cao Anli did not see their mother anywhere; he was now close to tears since she was nowhere in sight.

"Mother said that she...uuuwwwwuuuu... would be back!" Cao Yating cried this time, and it was not fake.

Cao Peizhi felt rage all over, seeing that there was possibly someone who was posing as Lin Ning. Making his two children cry, he did not want some imposter to try and use his children. "Don't cry. Father will give you both some candy later. He will also go and look for your mother. Does that sound good?" He tried to cheer up his two children.

"Uuuwwwwuuu..." Cao Yating and Cao Anli did not look close to stopping; they continued to cry as Cao Peizhi had the two lean against his chest. He took the two of them back with him while the guards around took a look around to see if there was any person who noticed a woman who was with the two children.

Lin Ning observed them from afar; she felt a tugging pain in her chest, which she then clutched her chest. "Why does my heart ache to see them cry?" She then felt her blindfold soak, taking off her blindfold to feel tears that started to fall. "Why am I crying?" She began to cry, wiping the tears that did not seem to stop. "I should be happy that their father found them. They don't have to see me anymore." Trying to make herself feel better did not seem like it helped.

***

"You found them." Yi Changpu rushed over, seeing that Cao Yating and Cao Anli were deeply asleep with swollen eyes from crying in their father's arms.

"En, it seems someone is posing as Lin Ning. I will have to see if it is part of the empress's plan to use my children against me." Cao Peizhi held a deadly look; he did not think that the empress would resort to this and try to use his children, who were his weakness.

"I think it would be better to have more people around to take care of them. Did you want some of my guards to stay with them?" Yi Changpu offered.

"No, I have my people who remain in debt to Lin Ning. You already have enough going on, and the empress is carrying your first child. It would be best to protect her since you never know what the last empress could be plotting." Cao Peizhi did not want anything to happen to the emperor and empress's child.

"Mother..." Cao Yating whimpered out, sniffling at the same time.

Cao Peizhi figured that it was time to return home with his two children; he did not want them to remain sleeping in his arms. "Your high-"

"No need. Go ahead. Your children are important as of right now." Yi Changpu understood, allowing Cao Peizhi to return home.