Chapter 92

Given the cup of poisonous wine, Lin Ning faced down in the direction of the cup in her hand with Su Su, who was in tears while holding their cup. "The empress surely has a lot of tolerance for me up till now." Lin Ning said, knowing that the empress would have killed her long ago if she had the chance but knowing that her son would be upset if he found out that his mother was the one who killed the woman he loved without reason.

"Hurry up." The empress turned away, waiting for Lin Ning to drink the cup.

Lin Ning had lightly scoffed, bringing the cup close to her lips so she could taste the wine, as the empress said. 'Painless.... she was merciless. I wonder why.' Feeling her body grow light, she felt as though there was a feeling of relief that overcame her.

The empress turned her back on the two who had taken the poisoned wine, signaling for one of her maids to check if Lin Ning and Su Su were dead. One of the maids went over, checking both to see and returned to the empress. "Both are dead. Let this servant get rid of them." The maid offered.

The empress gave a glance at each of her maids near her, seeing that it was odd for this one maid to offer to do it. "Hmph, make sure that they won't ever be found." The empress walked out of the prison cell, allowing the single maid to get rid of the two. Once the three maids left with the empress, the single maid alone turned back to the two people lying on the ground as if they were dead. "Let's get you both out of here." Pulling off the false mask once more, Hun Cuifen glanced down at the two and heard footsteps that entered the prison. "Qin Yun, why are you here?" She turned to see that he had appeared there.

"We will talk later. We have to get these two out of here. Master wants us to take them to the place." Qin Yun was upset and wanted an explanation from Hun Cuifen about why she would leave and risk her life to enter the palace, but he knew that it was not the time to mention or talk about it.

***

Yi Qiao was rubbing his forehead, seeing how the case involving the assassination attempt on his father was getting nowhere. 'There isn't a single trace about it. The connection that we had already killed ourselves. The only lead I have left is my mother, who imprisoned some people from the Ma State and took a prince hostage.' He had been looking into the case, but he would constantly be interrupted by his princess consort or mother. Whenever he wanted to visit Lin Ning, he would still get distracted. With the thought of Lin Ning on his mind, he figured that it would be a good time to visit Lin Ning since it had been a few days since he had last paid her a visit. Getting up from where he sat, he was about to start his way. "Tai Yuqing, if anyone asks for me, then let them know that I've gone to visit Concubine Ning."

"Second Prince, your mother has informed you to pay a visit to your princess consort." A eunuch appeared, informing Yi Qiao (Second Prince) to pay a visit to Qian Qiang.

"Is there something wrong with her?" Yi Qiao asked, standing in front of the eunuch.

The eunuch shook her head 'no,' which he could sense that the Second Prince did not want to be stopped from visiting Lin Ning.

"Then tell my mother that I went to visit Concubine Ning. Make sure that my princess consort rests and takes her prescription that the physician gives." Yi Qiao told the eunuch, waiting for him to leave, but the eunuch did not go.

'Does he not know that Concubine Ning has been sentenced to death?' The eunuch was a little lost to see that the Second Prince had no idea what went on in his harem. "Second Prince, Concubine Ning was sentenced to death by drinking a poison cup of wine for the attempted assassination of your princess consort." The eunuch told Yi Qiao, whose expression took a whole turn.

"What do you mean?" Yi Qiao had grabbed the eunuch's robe, pulling them up close to know details about it. He was in no mood to wait any longer; he wanted to know why she was accused when he learned that Lin Ning hated him enough to avoid causing any trouble with his princess consort. The eunuch did not say a word. Yi Qiao did not want to wait any longer, dropping the eunuch onto the ground. Tai Yuqing stood silent throughout the entire time without saying a word. "Tai Yuqing, do not follow me." Tai Yuqing remained there as he was told. Yi Qiao hurried to meet his mother, hoping that it was still not too late to find Lin Ning, but if he knew this mother, she would be sure to get rid of them with no trace left behind.

*Slam*

The empress was having some tea that had been prepared for her to relax after managing the harem. "What brings my son here with such strong emotions?" The empress blew on the tea, lightly taking some sips.

"Mother, did you really kill her?" Yi Qiao wanted a clear answer from his mother.

His mother could see that he was holding back all of his anger, setting the cup of tea down. She stood up and walked around, staring out the window in silence for a bit. "We do not give any light punishment for those who attempt to harm a royal family. My grandchild was going to be killed at the hands of that woman. I had no intentions of letting that woman roam freely in this palace."

"Mother! She was one of my women!"

"She is a woman who can easily be replaced. As the future emperor, you should understand that you have a princess consort who was specifically chosen by me. She will stand by your side when you take the throne. Those other women will remain in your harem, but they do not hold any special title or power like Qian Qiang. Women in your harem can be replaced and fill that emptiness in your heart, but do not let those emotions fully take over. It is foolish to keep unnecessary feelings." The empress gave a look to her son once more, trying to teach him that 'love' was nothing special. It was only a foolish emotion that never remained forever.

"Mother, I know that Father loved you once, but I am not like my father. I am going to find her. Dead or alive. I don't care." Yi Qiao was about to leave the room when his mother had her guards stop him.