Chapter 85

"Concubine Ning, the second prince has asked that you have a meal in your room until your condition improves. Physician Fen will come later again today." Lin Ning awoke to hear the maid telling her all of that. Sitting up on her bed, she had released a sigh to know that Physician Fen did not lie about lying to the second prince for her.

'Since she lied for me, I will have to hurry and try to leave the palace. As I already thought, it is not a safe place for my child to remain mostly when they do not share any blood with the second prince. He will also find out that he is not the father of my child. I will have to make a plan to escape from here.' Lin Ning laid her hand on her belly, worrying about how she would plan all of this out. 'I do not have anyone who can help me escape from here. Tai Yuqing is a good man, but I fear that he still holds some kind of connection of work on the line for the second prince. Physician Fen, I have only just met her, so I do not know if I can place my trust in her so soon. I can't do anything until I can find just one reliable person to help me escape from here.' She held her head, getting up to get dressed with the food arriving just in time. Peeking at the food behind her blindfold, she could see that there was no poison this time. 'Good, there is nothing that I have to worry about right now.' Just when she was about to take a bite.

"OOOIII! Is that any way to treat a maid around here?!"

"You would not even be considered a man!"

Hearing two men's voices say, Lin Ning was a little confused as to why a man was saying that to another man. 'What is going on?' She got up, going out to see what was happening. Opening the doors, she carefully walked down the steps to hear them once more.

"What a disappointment for your parents! They must be so disappointed to have such a child-like you!"

"My parents accepted me for who I was!!!"

"They probably only did so to get rid of you sooner!"

"Enough!" Lin Ning shouted, stopping the two from arguing any further. "What gives you the right to be shouting here?!" Going closer to the two, she could sense that be held repulse and another held pain. The maid was indeed a man, but they wore a maid's outfit and had their hair braided with twin tails at the back. They even wore make-up and still had the sign of a mustache that would still grow.

"Concubine Ning, I was just trying to send this 'man' on his way." The guard told her.

Lin Ning turned to face the person who called themselves a maid. "What is your name?" She figured that they were not a bad person, from what she could sense.

"Su Su. Concubine Ning! I apologize for appearing in front of you! I will leave immediately!" They were just about to leave when Lin Ning felt pity for them.

"Wait!" Lin Ning could hear them stop their movement, going up to them when she could not see what they looked like. Taking her hand, she placed one of them onto their cheek and felt something wet on the corner of their lips. "Since you are a maid here in my yard, I would like to assign you as my personal maid."

"Huh!?" Su Su was shocked, looking at the woman who wanted him/her to be a maid for them.

"Concubine Ning! You can't possibly want to let this... this... 'man' be your maid! You never know! They could be a wolf in sheep's wool!" The guard said.

"I said that I want her to be my maid." Lin Ning said it loud and clear, looking at the guard refusing to let Lin Ning do as she pleased. "I am the second prince's concubine. Do you think a maid will want to take advantage of their master?" Lin Ning waited for any other response, but the guard only left with the sound of his footsteps that grew further and further. She had let out a sigh, taking out another handkerchief that she had on her. "Here, wipe the mess off yourself and make sure to see a physician." Lin Ning was about to go inside her room when the maid held onto one of her feet.

"Do you really want me to be your maid!?!? No one has ever wanted me to be their personal maid! I've always dreamed of this day!!!!"

Lin Ning was a little surprised to see how strange this person was, but it was tough to come across people like them in this time and era. She could sense a hint of sadness and determination from the maid, knowing that they were very serious about this. Turning to face their direction again, she had them get back on their feet. They were born a man, so they still held more of the man's look and aspects in which they stood taller than her. "I am serious, but I am curious about one thing." Lin Ning was just about to ask them a question when they answered and knew immediately.

"You don't have to worry about a thing! I am a maid here, and I have an interest in men! Besides, a woman like myself wants a strong man who can protect me!" Su Su spoke proudly and truthfully from what Lin Ning could sense.

'I guess that answers it.' Lin Ning held a light smile and lightly patted their arm. "Go and clean yourself up. A woman should not look messy, and a maid should always be ready to serve their master. I'll be waiting in my room." Lin Ning encouraged them to clean up before serving her since she knew that they must look like a mess from the guard who likely bullied them.

"Oi! Concubine Ning is so kind-hearted!!!" Su Su shouted with tears that were coming down. They still held the handkerchief in their hand as they wiped some tears as well.

"Alright, go wash up. If you are wearing make-up, then be sure to clean that up and put some back on if it makes you feel better. Don't stand idle here all day." Lin Ning told them. They could be seen walking off to clean up while still crying, which Lin Ning could not see any of, but she could still hear the grateful words that Su Su kept repeating while sniffling in a man's tone. 'Will they be alright?' Lin Ning questioned herself to see how different this fellow was.