Chapter 114

Yi Qiao (Second Prince) fell to his knees, seeing his brother's blade at his throat. "As I said, only one of us will live. It seems as though my brother would win, of course." Staring down, he held a look of regret in his heart. "You know that I've always lived to obey my mother. I regret choosing the throne over finding the woman I fell in love with."

"Is there anything you want us to know before your death?" Yi Changpu didn't want things to end this way, but his brother would never want to live to recall this moment.

"Hm, no. There is nothing else. I just wish that I lived differently. I probably would have married the person that I love." Yi Qiao said that one last thing before getting up, allowing his brother's sword to pierce him in the chest. "Don't live by following another's order. Living by your decisions is the best since you are under no one's control. My mother won't stop her vengeance, so I will have to bother my brother to suffer again after this. She is a woman who won't stop until everything is under her control." Whispering that bit to his older brother, he had coughed out blood.

Yi Changpu didn't think his younger brother would take matters into his hands, watching his brother fall to the ground as the life drained away from him. "Changpu!" Xu Meili ran over, hugging Yi Changpu while observing his body to see if there were any injuries.

Yi Changpu hated this feeling, all of this bloodshed just for the throne's power. He wished that none of this would have happened, but the previous empress would kill him in the end if he didn't take action first. Hugging Xu Meili, he hated all of this and how it turned out.

Xu Meili could feel Yi Changpu shaking; she didn't know if he was okay or not, but she knew that he must have been thinking a lot about his brother's death. She could see the second prince who no longer held life within him. "It's okay. It's okay." She comforted him.

"Crown Prince! The empress and the second prince's princess consort have escaped!" One of the guards came running to inform Yi Changpu, who had snapped back. Giving both him and Xu Meili some space, he didn't think that the empress would be able to escape.

"Where is Cao Peizhi?!" (Yi Changpu)

"The second prince's princess consort had sent assassins to kill a woman that Cao Peizhi was in contact with. I do not know any further information."

'Lin Ning!' Both Yi Changpu and Xu Meili knew which woman they were referring to. Giving each other a look, they could not leave the Zhao Palace now that everything was still chaotic, and they had to stop all the officials who took part in the second prince's plan.

"Zhi Hao Guo! Min Jian Chu!" Yi Changpu had to send the two generals, seeing them walk up towards him.

***

Hun Cuifen had brought along a few powdered medicines that she took out from her sleeves and gave to Lin Ning, who tossed them out behind their carriage. Blinding the assassins who had to stop their tracks before resuming or else they would trip and fall upon each other. Once the powder had cleared up, they could see the carriage still on the move. "Go after them!!!" The leader shouted, following the carriage, but they did not see Hun Cuifen and Su Su, who had slipped away while carrying the two infants in each of their arms. Both were in tears as they had to leave the miss and Qin Yun.

Earlier in the carriage...

"You both have to go. These two children hold a lot of meaning for Peizhi and me. He can't lose all three of us." Lin Ning told Hun Cuifen and Su Su, who disagreed.

"Miss, you can't part from your children like this! The master will not be happy after all of this!" Hun Cuifen told her.

"You both have to take care of my children for me. I know that those people sent by the empress and the second princess will not stop until they know I am dead. Everyone here holds no importance to them but me." Lin Ning had to point out that everyone there was not the primary target. Tossing the powder medicine that Hun Cuifen gave her, she blinded the assassins. "Listen to me and take care of my children. Qin Yun, stop here!"

Qin Yun had stopped and didn't know what Lin Ning had in mind as he saw Hun Cuifen and Su Su get out while holding the young master and young miss. "What is going on?" He asked.

"They have to go from here. They are after me, so we will distract them so that Su Su and Hun Cuifen can get away as far as they can. We have to go now!" Lin Ning had Qin Yun start going as the other two went on foot and hid in the forest.

Back to Lin Ning...

The assassins had finally reached the carriage as one took a spear out and jammed the carriage's wheel. Qin Yun had to carry Lin Ning out from the carriage that toppled over. Both were on foot now, reaching a dead-end cliff as the assassins shot arrows that had hit Qin Yun.

"Qin Yun!!!" Lin Ning could sense that they were in pain and injured heavily with the feeling of blood that was on her hands. "You are all here for me! If you let this man go, I will comply with what you all want!" She shouted at them.

"Miss! You can't! I am a mere servant who is here to protect you!" Qin Yun stood back on his feet even though he had been shot a few times in the back.

"The second princess consort has sent us to get rid of you and you- Where are the two infants?!" The leader shouted, seeing that Lin Ning nor Qin Yun were carrying a single infant at hand. Then, he recalled the time that the powder was tossed at them. "Go and find the other two!!!" He shouted at two of his men, who ran back to look for the other two who escaped. "You won't get away!" The man had charged at the two, with his other men following after.

Qin Yun took out his sword, given no choice but to cut down their horses as they toppled to the ground without a mount to get back on. Panting in pain, he was on his knees as he could barely stand up. "I won't fail my duty!!!" Qin Yun shouted, looking back at the men as he saw Lin Ning standing at a far distance from them.

"You both handle that dead man! I will get rid of the woman!" The leader had the two fight, Qin Yun, as he went toward Lin Ning. Qin Yun tossed a dagger that went straight towards the leader's eye, making them release a painful yell. "AAAARRRGGHHH!!!!"

Qin Yun was then faced with two swords he could not avoid, using his weapon to stop theirs before being cut down. Struggling to fight against the two, he bled out more with each strength in his body.

Lin Ning could sense all the bloodshed that was occurring, noticing that the leader of the assassin group had stood up while grunting in pain. "I won't easily fall!" Hearing the sound of the sword coming at her, she barely dodged it. "I have to fulfill my duty!!!" He then came charging Lin Ning with the sword that had cut Lin Ning on the side.

"Miss!!!!" Qin Yun tried to run over, but he was stopped by the two men who took advantage of his unguarded self. Knocking him down as one of the arrows was stepped on. "AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!" Laying on the ground, he had been bleeding out and helpless. His vision blurred, seeing Lin Ning, who fell to the ground with the only last image of the sword coming down at her.

Lin Ning knew that Qin Yun had done his best, hitting the ground as she saw the sword coming down at her. She dodged it, hearing the rip on a piece of her clothing that the sword had cut with the clinking of the sword falling to the side. Knowing that she was on a cliff, she took the opportunity once the leading assassin tried to pick his sword back up. His vision had been ruined once he lost one of his eyes. "I won't let you hurt my family!!!!" Lin Ning pushed the man with her down the cliff without feeling any regret for her decision. 'Peizhi, please don't get mad at the kids or me. Please take care of them.' Only the feeling of falling surrounded her as both fell.

"Boss!!!!!" The two assassins had gone over to the cliff to see that those figures had disappeared in the midst of the clouds down the cliff. They looked at one another without knowing what to do now but to report back to the empress and second princess consort that they had eliminated their target.

"AAARRGGHHH"

Being shot by arrows, the two assassins had fallen while turning around to see that there were a few men that they did not know. "Where is my wife?!" Cao Peizhi held no intentions of letting them off.