Chapter 115

Cao Peizhi had been followed by a few men who chose to follow after him; he had rushed all the way to where Lin Ning and the rest resided and saw only an empty home. One of his men had tracked down a carriage that went a certain direction, but it became clear that other tracks of horse prints chased after the carriage. When they were about to reach where the carriage had gone, they heard someone cry in pain as they followed into the forest and found two women holding something in their arms. Cao Peizhi had taken out his bow and two arrows, shooting two at once at the two men who were about to kill Hun Cuifen and Su Su.

Both breathing and panting harshly as they turned to see where the arrows came from. "Master!!!!" They both shouted, kneeling as they held onto the two infants.

"Why are you both here!? Where is Ning???" Cao Peizhi got off his horse and rushed over to the two, making them both stand up on their feet.

"You have to save her! Miss distracted them in order for us to escape with your children! The rest of the assassins are still chasing them!" Hun Cuifen did not hesitate to say so, urging Cao Peizhi to hurry and save the others.

Cao Peizhi felt anger in his heart, knowing that Lin Ning decided to become bait for those people. "You three stay here! The other two come with me!" Cao Peizhi had gotten back on his horse, followed by his two men, while the other three stayed to protect Hun Cuifen, Su Su, and the two infants.

"UUWWWAAAHHH!!!!! UUUWWWAAAHHH!!!!"

Both infants were now crying in their arms; they were unsure if the infants were harmed or not. They held worry all over to examine the two to ensure they did not get injured.

***

Cao Peizhi had arrived at the carriage that had toppled over; seeing no one in the carriage, his heart grew more worried with fear. Reaching the end of the trail, he saw Qin Yun, who had been bleeding heavily with arrows shot into his back—seeing the two assassins at the edge of the cliff and looking down. Taking the opportunity, he took out his bow and arrows again and shot at the two assassins who fell down but not far enough to fall off the cliff. "Where is my wife!?"

The assassins were still alive and conscious, and they both knew that they had done their task given. "Heh, you are too late. That woman has already been killed." One of the assassins spoke up, holding an evil grin as he gave a look down the cliff.

Cao Peizhi did not hesitate to shoot another arrow, killing the assassin who spoke up, and then looked at the other assassin who had taken out a dagger of his, killing himself. "Take him back and find a physician!" Cao Peizhi ordered his men to take Qin Yun to be treated quickly, going over to the cliff as he picked up the piece of clothing that was left of Lin Ning. Staring down at the unknown abyss, he had walked forth towards the edge when the back of his neck had been hit with only darkness that overcame his vision.

"Sorry, but we were given the order to ensure that you did not kill yourself." appeared, seeing Cao Peizhi hit the ground once he had knocked him out. "It seems as though this will be forever his scar." This old general said, knowing that Cao Peizhi would have to suffer his entire life knowing that he could not protect his lover. "We have to return now." Zhi Hao Guo told , who nodded.

Min Jian Chu carried Cao Peizhi over his shoulder, placing a large stone on that cliff. "Sorry, we did not make it in time to protect you." Min Jian Chu felt a sudden sadness in his heart, knowing that they could not save Lin Ning either.

***

Cao Peizhi had been in a long dream, seeing Lin Ning, who smiled at him and held his hand. Both only in this peaceful meadow, he did not want to leave her anymore. He had ran up to her, hugged her in his arms, and placed a kiss on her head. "Ning, I don't want to go anywhere. I just want to be with you." He then saw her turn around to look up at him. Lin Ning held a smile, kissing him on the warm lips.

"You can't be with me. Remember, we still have two beautiful children that need one of us. Don't let our children become orphans."

Cao Peizhi saw Lin Ning floating away from his arms, trying his best to reach out to her. "Ning! Ning! Please don't leave me! Ning!!!!"

"Ning!!!!" Waking up with cold sweat, he had gotten up from the bed and startled the physician taking a look at him. Wearing a white gown that was meant for those to sleep in. He was breathing heavily and looked around to see Yi Changpu and Xu Meili, who ran over to him. Both were dressed as the emperor and empress at this time, now that they were the rulers of Zhao State.

"Peizhi! Thank goodness you are awake!" Both did not know if he would ever wake up since the physician had told them that he was refusing to wake up. Yi Changpu did not know how long Cao Peizhi would remain in that sad state.

"Where am I???" Cao Peizhi looked at both, seeing that he was not familiar for the most part.

"You are in the Zhao Palace. It has been eight days since you've been unconscious and since the battle ended." Yi Changpu kept it simple for Cao Peizhi.

"What about Ning?!" Cao Peizhi got up, holding Yi Changpu by the shoulder with one of his limbs since the prosthetic one had been removed for the time being.

Xu Meili could only weep tears at the mention of Lin Ning, knowing fully well that they did not find her body anywhere at the cliff since there was only an endless rushing river path that was known to hold large and sharp boulders below. No one could survive that fall if they fell. "Peizhi... I'm sorry." Yi Changpu shook his head, he had also sent his men to take a look, but they all found nothing.

Cao Peizhi's expression turned sad; he fell to his knees and had tears come down his face. He faced the ground, hitting the ground with his only hand. "Damn it!!! I am a failure!!!! I couldn't even protect her!!!!" Cao Peizhi then clutched his chest, feeling his aching heart that felt like it was shattering.

Yi Changpu got to his knee, looking at his friend who had to suffer through all of this. "Peizhi..." He did not know what to say to help his friend who had lost someone he loved with all his heart.

"UUUUWWWAAAHHHH!!!!"

"UUUUWWWAAAHHHH!!!! UUUWWWAAAAHHH!!!!"

Hearing the cries of two infants, Hun Cuifen and Su Su had arrived and carried the two children in their arms with their eyes still swollen from the tears that they shed about Lin Ning. "Why are they still crying???" Xu Meili went over to the two infants, seeing that they did not look anywhere close to sleeping.

Cao Peizhi's eyes grew wide, remembering what Lin Ning had told him in that long dream that repeated in his head.

"Remember, we still have two beautiful children that need one of us. Don't let our children become orphans."

Getting up to his feet, his eyes were still watery as he took steps toward his two children, the only thing left from Lin Ning. "Don't cry, Yating. You too, Anli. Father is still here. He will protect and take care of you two." Reaching his single hand to wipe each of his children's tears, they stopped crying once they felt his warm touch. Yi Changpu stood up; he went next to Xu Meili was still in tears, hugging her after. "Father will be sure to take care of you two and love you with everything he has." Placing a kiss on their heads, both of his children babbled. Both of their tiny hands had reached out to hold his single hand, letting him feel their warmth. Cao Peizhi felt his heart slowly healing, but not as quickly as if there was still a missing piece.

"Auu..." (Yating)

"Abuu..." (Anli)

Cao Peizhi could not leave this world, knowing that he still had the last two treasures in his life to take care of. "Your highness, I can't stand by your side at this time. I have two children that need me." Yi Changpu had parted from Xu Meili, going over to his friend and patting his shoulder.