Chapter 32: Even If You Search For The Truth

The city could be described within a single term: A corpse. This was its existence now, Larson and the Night of the Lake arrived right after the sun went down. This city was supposed to be well armed with counter siege technology, the food supplies would be enough to go on for several years, there was even an underground network created just for trade even when there was a siege. It was perfect and ready to face anything, yet the harsh reality was laid out bare in front of their eyes. Nothing remained in the city, the moonlight gave it a foreboding atmosphere as if they were not supposed to be here. The doors were locked shut and windows boarded up, as massive as it was Heavensburrow had become like a small ghost town. Larson could feel the gazes coming from the closed spaces of the windows, watching them. He felt like some of these stares were not even human but that could be the paranoia he felt from entering a city that was supposed to be bustling with life now void of it. Black buildings with lights, the scent of blood drifting in the air, an inhuman howls being heard in the distance. It was very much clear that the invasion was not outward it happened within and the city's protectors decided it was best to not allow the world to face this kind of horror hence trapping themselves with these monsters. They held their torches high in the air as they walked in a single group, this was far much more safer than splitting up.

Larson stole a look at Euphia who was observing her surroundings, an arrow was already notched in the bow, her aura was akin to a hunter ready to kill her prey. She was enchanting and seemed to fit this kind of atmosphere, rather Euphia belonged to the ever looming presence of death. Larson could feel a sense of mystique around her, he wanted to know where she came from, who she was, why was she so used to this kind of ambience. So many questions and not enough time and courage to ask them. Nothing but the sounds of boots, fires burning from their torches, and the puddle splashes their boots made aloud. A sinister stench quickly flew at them, covering their noses with their clothes in order to not smell such an order. It wafted around them as they entered the plaza of this district, after taking three steps the scout got his head torn off instantly. If his rolling head wasn't any indiction then there was something in this city that lurked within that stench, they moved forward and came face to face with it.

Melded together it was a collection of arms, feet, heads and eyes. A creature made entirely out of the flesh of its victims, some of that flesh was already rotten and some of it was relatively fresh. All of the eyes focused on all of them with the mouths opening soon after.

"SCRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!"

The scream pierced their ears with a rumble coming from all directions, this was getting bad very quickly not only was this thing able to kill their scout in no time but it was calling out to other monsters roaming in the area which prompted them. There was only one thing they could do, escape from where they came from. They turned heel on the thing and began to run away from the horrors that awaited them from beyond the stench filled mist, the unified roars and shrieks they could hear from behind them was enough to convince them whatever was behind them had more than just death waiting for them. They would be integrated into that thing and live on as a monster, the windows broke with tentacles sprawling out from within to grab some of the members of the Lake of the Night. They were picked off easily and screamed as the windows repaired themselves, their muffled screams could be heard from within. Larson could do nothing about it as he heard their shouts for help, it was impossible to do anything. They had to go back and report that the city was already overrun by monsters by all means.

"What the hell is behind us anyway?!"

One of them barked out as he got angry that he couldn't fight the thing that they were running from, the one from the back glanced for a brief moment.