Chapter 95

MAY’S P.O.V

PRESENT DAY

Fuck.

I don’t like crying in front of people, but I can’t stop, and Brie is even worse.

He killed him. All this time I thought her dad must be out there somewhere, I went through every possible story from a mafia leader to him being kidnapped by a cartel, but even I couldn’t have imagined this.

Our stories, they all mean something because of our chosen family, but the Thompsons, the Parkers, and the Johnsons... We all found each other because of a chosen family that fell apart. No big conspiracy, no coming back from the dead, just the story of what happens when one brother turns on another.

It’s the oldest story ever told.

“I’m so sorry, Brie.” Hector almost pulls his thumb from the socket trying to get out of the cuffs, before Brie leaps up from her seat, going across the table and managing to hug him before Hannah comes storming in through the door.

“BRIE!” I love Hannah, I really do, but this isn't about a criminal or the law. Without Hector, she'd never know what happened.

Sometimes the hero is the guy on the white horse, sometimes he’s the gang banger with a smirk. That’s the thing about life; you never know.

To people on the outside, Nigel was perfect: Perfect test scores, perfect basketball record, perfect husband and father, perfect man to run for mayor. Put him up against someone like Hector or Tick and their records don’t compare.

Sometimes... you can’t trust the man on the white horse. Sometimes, you’ve got to trust the bad guy.

She can’t talk, she just hugs him until Leah manages to prise her off and take her in her arms instead.

“We have to find him.” I sob, I can’t wipe the tears away fast enough. “We have to find him and bury him properly.”

“We will.” Hannah promises. “Did he tell you anything about which park it was? There’s a few of them in Westbrooke, I’m not going to get a warrant to take them all up, and that's not including the ones that aren't even there anymore.”

Hector won’t answer her, so I give him a quick kick to the shins under the table.

“Ow! You’re a kinky one, aren’t you?”

“Answer the fucking question!”

“I already told you everything! I don’t know which fucking park!” He complains. “He said he went back there the next day, watched them pour concrete over the ground before they put the kids stuff in. Then he started ranting about how Anna was thick as pig shit for never figuring out who he was, just laughing. Around then I got a bit preoccupied with how quickly I could file down his toothbrush to kill him.” Anna was a victim. She just wasn’t his first. I didn’t realise the true extent of what she was put through until now. “Wait... I think he might have said something about... Hillside?” Hillside...

“Hillside park doesn't have a play area.”

“But it did.” Hannah pulls out her phone and starts typing. Leah takes Brie over to the window, trying to calm her, but the best thing any of us can do for her now is find her dad. “Hillside is just one of the parks in Westbrooke now, but back when Brie was born, everything between the Southside and the East was called Hillside. They only split it up when Jayce was a toddler. I remember Tara protested against it, it was just another way to keep the Eastside kids from the Southside.” This fucking town.

“Oh yeah, because you give a fuck about people from the Southside!” Hector spits at her.

“Shut up! I don’t care where someone’s from! You’re in here because you deserve to be!”