If you love something...

Start from the beginning

Emmy made herself a cocktail and then leaned on the counter to watch everyone else mingle. She sipped as her eyes watched Nora bounce around, spinning her tutu in the process. She then watched all the other kids follow Nora's lead. Her heart burst with admiration: at Nora, at Jasmine's new house, at the life her best friend had built for herself and her daughter.

The moment was broken suddenly when her eyes landed on a hand cradling a drink near the wall. The silver ring was a dead giveaway and Emmy's heart slowly picked up speed. Their eyes had met at the same time and she could feel him moving away from Rafa and towards her.

Emmy tried to move but all of a sudden the kitchen had become packed with people. Her feet shuffled so fast her drink was spilling on her hands. The only way out was the path that led to him.

She pulled out her phone desperately wishing he would turn around. She knew that at some point she needed to get over it but she couldn't right now. Feelings were still involved. And they were at war with the hurt he caused.

A hand grabbed her wrist and she tried her best to pull it away. "Emmy stop," he said before loosening his grip. With that, she looked up at him. Their eyes met again. "Hi," he whispered.

"Please just leave me alone," Emmy begged. She tried to move but she was backed into the corner of the counters.

"I want... I need to apologize." Daveed nodded, "Can we talk?" he nodded to the empty backyard.

"I don't want to talk about this here. It's my goddaughters birthday. I want to have fun," she insisted. She knew she could easily fall for him again if she let herself so she was doing everything to prevent it.

"And drinking alone in the corner is fun?" Daveed questioned. "Just give me a few minutes," he said as he reached out his hand.

After a pause to think it over, she placed her hand in his. He led her through all the people to the back door. Emmy was sure people were staring at them but she was used to being humiliated by now.

When they got outside, the breeze hit them and Emmy's shoulders began to shake. She'd always been one to get cold easily and all she had on was a light sweater. "Make this quick," she said with gritted teeth.

"Take my jacket," Daveed offered, beginning to slip it off.

"I don't want your jacket," she said sternly through her shivers.

"You're going to be sick, Em. Take the jacket," he said in a slightly louder yet more caring voice than before. He took it all the way off himself and draped it on her back.

Immediately, it felt weird to wear something of his again. The jacket was warm like a nice hug but a part of it still felt cold. Her mind couldn't help but question if the other woman wore his clothes. If the other woman wore this jacket before she did.

"Look, I'm sorry," Daveed said bluntly, "There's nothing I can say that will excuse what I did."

Emmy looked at him with a dumbfounded expression. She already knew his actions were inexcusable. "Well, why did you do it? Were you mad at me for leaving? I don't even know if you know this but I saw the unmade bed and the shirt on your floor. I was going to surprise you that morning. Where'd you even meet her? I mean, was I such an awful girlfriend that you just had to pick some girl up at the club? Did you leave it all there for me to find it? For me to find it and question if the last two years of my life had been a lie?"

Daveed shook his head and raised his hand to his forehead. He cursed at himself under his breath. "I didn't mean to leave the place like that... I had just woke up to the notification and I wasn't thinking. She was already gone and it slipped out of my head just that quick. When I didn't see you there, I figured you'd gotten home on your own. I realized by then how I left it and I was too ashamed to go back. I just went straight to work. But it was only the one night, I swear."