“I know, but it's an emergency.” Again?!

She’s had a lot of emergencies lately... Most of them involving me and Kage being trapped together in a confined space we can’t leave. She thinks I’m so fucking stupid.

Your cupid tricks won’t work this time, bitch... he doesn’t want them to.

She hasn’t said it, but she knows this is killing me. She’s just trying to help, but with this one, she just needs to let go.

“What is it this time?”

“No, it’s actually an emergency.” She says seriously, moving out of the way for me to see Heather and Liam dragging their bags up behind them. “One of Al's patients tried to commit suicide, she was shaking too much to drive so Jay has to take her over to the hospital past Brookeside to do an assessment. I said I’d have this lot because the rainbow twins are already in the hotel the next state over ready to meet the birth mum, but now one of my newest basketball stars has just been caught with two prostitutes and a bag of coke, so I’ve got to get to the office.”

Jesus, it never rains but it pours.

“It’s fine, dump them here, but are you going to be okay to take over this place tomorrow?”

“I can tell my mom we can come later, Brie. It’s fine.” Kage says instantly.

“No, I’m good. Everyone will be back tonight or tomorrow morning, we just don’t know what times yet. You’ve cooked everything anyway, right? Al can run the counter while I do damage control if I need it. Just keep these fuckers alive tonight.” Brie kisses all the kids in turn, using her hug as an opportunity to pat down the Thompsons, only finding two firecrackers and one penknife this time.

“Run, I’ve got it.” As if I wasn’t nervous enough about driving to meet Kage’s family tomorrow, now I know I won’t get a wink of fucking sleep with Cara here.

“This is a pretty full house... do you want me to leave so-”

“Leave me alone with this lot and I will tell Teal his father met me whilst preforming in an all-drag burlesque show. It’s us against them now.” I know I have Heather and Liam, but with all Cara’s personalities they still out match us. I need the numbers.

“Firstly, I’d make a beautiful drag-queen.” I hate that that’s true. “Secondly, you know when you need back up, Shorty, I’m yours. Put me to work.” See! How am I supposed to see him as Milo when he keeps saying shit like this!

Honestly, one more sexy word out of him and I’m just going to... sit on his face probably. This is getting ridiculous.

“Heather, battle-stations! And for the love of all things Black Magic, hide the matches!” Cara’s smiling... that’s never good.

•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•

So what was supposed to be my relaxing night before the awaiting storm that is Kage’s sisters, ends up being almost six hours of refereeing a death match between the Thompson savages. I love them, I really do, but you know how some dogs need to be muzzled when they go for a walk? I’m just saying... it might be safer for all of us if they started making those things for kids.

Finally, Liam has unlocked the door from hiding in the bathroom with Teal, Kage has finished power-bombing Chase onto my bed enough times to cause severe damage to his spine, and Heather has released the restraints from mildly tying Cara to a chair under the guise of playing cops and robbers... for the last two hours.

They’re exhausted, drained of their Slytherin energy, and as they retreat to regroup, a gentle calm comes over the apartment.

“Holy fucking shit, how do their parents handle this everyday?”