I leaned in more as he brought the newspaper closer and I accidentally pressed my head against his shoulder. As soon as I realised, I quickly pulled back, hesitant.

I've never been this close with my father, it just feels so... awkward.

"Rest, take your time." He laughed and his body vibrated as he did. I drew my eyes at the puzzle again and tilted my head, uncomfortably.

"Oh, it's eight, isn't it!?" I suddenly beamed, and he nodded. He drew an 8 in the empty square and I smiled.

"You're still good at this." He complimented.

"It was a little tricky, otherwise it won't take me too long to guess." I said, scooting further on the couch. My mother came back from the kitchen, with a plate full of sliced apples. She sat on my right and handed it over to me.

"Have you decided which college you want to go to?"

"Not yet... I'm confused between two. One is an hour away and the other one is almost two hours away, that too with a bus ride and then a 20 minute walk." I explained as I picked up a piece of apple and turned to my father.

"Take this, dad."

"You should eat first, Hana. It's for you." He insisted but I extended my arm to push the slice into his mouth with some effort. He let out a little laugh with his stuffed mouth and I turned to my mother, repeating the same action.

"I think the one in the south is better, it's a quick bus ride away and you'll have to walk less, even. I might need to talk to my colleagues if they have any idea, because two of them live around there." My father said and I nodded, understanding.

"Hana's birthday is also approaching." My mother said, and I paused chewing for a moment.

My birthday... it's near. I almost forgot.

"Yes, what gift do you need Hana?" My dad asked.

"I don't know." I replied, lost. I really didn't know what did I want and what would please me. Birthdays weren't something I always looked forward to. It was just another day, filled with everyone's excitement, except my own.

"Tell us! Should we go out to celebrate?" My mother asked. I was a little surprised because she didn't act like that every year. This time, she looked genuinely happy.

"As you wish, but I don't want any gifts." I told them and got up from my seat.

My parents knew what I was like. They just didn't understand as to why I was like that. They were old fashioned so I really didn't look forward to any surprises. I just pretended to be happy, especially on that day for them.

As I was about to walk back to my room, the doorbell rang. My feet halted as I tried to guess who it was.

My mother went to open it and I peeked from the hallway, my eyes splaying when I noticed the family figure. My fingers twitched as I held my hands into tight fists. I turned around and pressed my back against the wall with my heartbeat drumming in my ears.

It's... doctor Kim.

That's right, my father must have called him because I asked him to. But why was I feeling too scared now?