27.

February 29 1996

I've barely eaten or slept and I certainly haven't spoken to Granger since our fight the other day. Pansy has been all too happy as she prances around, taking any chance she can to remind me that she told me so. Blaise and Theo have avoided the topic altogether and have focused solely on our game today, it's the first time we're playing since the bludger accident.

I'm struggling to keep my focus, I barely have the energy to stay on my bloody broom and it doesn't help that there's strong winds today. I haven't a clue where the snitch is and I honestly couldn't care less. She isn't in the stands, her usual spot between Potter and Weasley remains empty. Whether or not she's been attending class I wouldn't know as I have been absent, choosing to stay locked in than listen to boring lectures all day.

There's a horn and loud cheer coming from the Ravenclaw student section. Cho, their seeker, is flying around as she proudly holds up the golden snitch. We lost and I couldn't care less.

March 10 1996

Blaise has been threatening me the past three days with dragging me to the hospital wing and admitting me for, and I quote, "Turning into a complete sad sack of balls." He also told me that I smell like shit.

Pansy has been barging into my room every night. She always comes with a plate of food in hand which always goes untouched. Today she told me that she saw Granger.

"She almost looks as bad as you." She tells me. "Didn't even bother correcting Professor Flitwick on the pronunciation of a spell and even I knew that he said it incorrectly."

Good.

I don't feel as pathetic now that I know that she isn't doing well either.

March 20 1996

"Mr. Malfoy!" Professor McGonagall calls out. I stop in the middle of the corridor, turn around and wait for her to catch up to me. "Mr. Malfoy, I've been meaning to speak with you for some time now but you have been absent from class the past few weeks."

"Haven't been feeling well." I tell her.

"Yes, I can see that." Her eyes take in my appearance and she adjusts my crooked tie. "I just wanted to remind you of the party next Friday. All of the other students who were working on the research paper have RSVP'd except for you."

I'm about to respectfully decline but she speaks before I am able to. "I'm afraid it is mandatory Mr. Malfoy. We will be announcing whose paper was chosen."

Great.

"It begins at 7, you are free to bring a plus one if you'd like."

March 29 1996

I'm slipping on my coat as I descend the last stair into the common room. Blaise looks over at me and starts slowly clapping. "Amazing! The man has finally rediscovered the shower!" He cheers causing Theo and Pansy to also turn their attention to me.

"Going somewhere handsome?" Theo smiles.

"Yeah, I'm off to go fuck your mom." I smirk. "She always told me she liked the way I looked in a suit."

"You're a proper git."

"A git that is about to become your new step father." I reply. "Make sure you're in bed by 10."

He grabs a handful of sweets from the box beside him and throws it at me as I walk out. I make my way to the north end of the castle where the party is being held. When I'm halfway there I consider turning back around. Sure, McGonagall said it was mandatory but what would really happen if I didn't show? Detention? I'd rather do that than have to endure a night of mingling. Against my better judgement I arrive and only 15 minutes late which is technically early for me.