58.

September 10 1997

It's strange being back at Hogwarts, it feels like it was a lifetime ago when I was stepping into the great hall for the first time. There was a warmth to it, a calm and reassuring energy, a safe place for me but none of that is present anymore. Today as I make my way down the corridor everything feels darker, lifeless. It feels like a prison.

"Lieutenant Malfoy." Snape drawls.

"Headmaster, I believe you took the saying 'I'd kill for the job' a bit too seriously." I smirk, he didn't find it funny, what a dull man.

"I wasn't aware you would be visiting today."

"Yes, well, that is the point of a surprise evaluation." I tell him. "If you were given a notice it would defeat the whole purpose."

"Certainly."

He looks just as, if not more, unamused than usual but there's something off. There's a strain in his eyes and while it was subtle, his shoulders tensed when I mentioned the word evaluation. He's hiding something. I don't know what and I'm not entirely sure I care but it is intriguing.

"Should we get started then?" I ask. He holds his arm out, gesturing for me to lead the way.

As we're walking I closely analyze his body language and how he reacts to certain topics. Snape in general is as emotionless as they come, when I was younger I believed he wasn't a real human... I'm still not fully convinced.

"How are the Carrows doing?" I ask. "They've neglected their reports the last few days."

Snape stops in front of a door and reaches for the handle. "Why don't you see for yourself?" The door opens, revealing students lined along the wall. Any and all sounds abruptly cease, every student's eyes locked onto me as I make my way across the room.

"Lieutenant General Malfoy." Amycus says, fear lacing his words as he straightens his posture.

"Amycus, I didn't think either of you were still alive."

"Sir?"

"Well it's the only explanation as to why I have yet to receive a single report from either of you." I tell him. "But alas, here you are, very much breathing."

His lips part, surely ready to give me a bull shit excuse, when a sniffle from behind interrupts. Turning, I see a first year sat on the floor, her knees pulled up to her chest.

"What's this?" I ask, raising a brow at the siblings.

"Today's lesson." Alecto states.

"Care to elaborate? I did just get here."

"They're practicing the cruciatus." Amycus says. "I had just finished a demonstration when you entered."

I turn my attention back to the young girl, crouching down to her level. Her eyes are red, puffy and full of fear. "Did it hurt?" I ask. She nods. "Would you like for them to hurt?" Another nod. "Very well." Standing, I let out a slow and controlled breath before spinning on my heel and reaching for Amycus' throat. Alecto takes a step towards me but comes to a sudden halt when my eyes meet hers.

"Stand down, that's an order." I command. She steps back, clasping her hands in front of her and lowering her head. Dragging Amycus to the center of the room and throwing him down into a chair, I face the students.

"Now class, in my personal opinion, the cruciatus is ineffective and quite honestly, lazy." I say. "If you want to hurt someone, then hurt someone. For example." Slipping the quill from the desk behind me, I twirl it once in my fingers before driving it down into his thigh, my hand flying over his mouth to muffle his high pitched squeal.