Chapter 65 (Renzo's POV)

"My contact in the FBI got back to me about this Rylee-Steven bullshit. I asked him to look into who gave that idiot the orders to start watching us. I figured someone was tryna throw a RICO charge on us or something, but no" I couldn't sit still while telling my cousin the update. 

I was pacing his kitchen while he leaned against the sink with his arms crossed, watching me like a ping pong ball. "He's working alone" I got to the good part. Dante's brows furrowed just as mine did when my contact told me. 

"What do you mean?" His eyes stopped when I did. "I think he's a bit of a dirty cop. Or at least, he was related to a criminal, but I don't know how involved he was in his life" I told him. "Wait, huh?"

        I swiped my hand down my jaw and started from the beginning. "This idiot Steven Keniston had a friend who wasn't on the right side of the law. He calls him family, but I don't think it's by blood. I don't remember the guy, but apparently Steven thinks we killed him. He poked around on some organized crime list. We all know the 3-letter agencies have their theories about us, so the file's are there, it's just never touched. This idiot took it upon himself to investigate us. He wants to see if we're responsible" I told him. Dante snorted.

"Who did we kill?" He scratched his head. 

"I don't know. I didn't recognize the name. This was from years ago. I think he was a casualty of whatever we were actually doing back then. My point is...he's not backed by anyone. He's riding solo on this. I don't want him to be able to build a case. He's an undercover cop. He has the resources. I wanna take him out before he has the chance to change some minds in his division" I got to the main point here.

        "Take out an undercover cop linked to the FBI? Ren...that's risky as fuck" Dante tipped his head at me. "What else would you have me do? For now, he doesn't have someone above him calling the shots, but if he finds something worth showing his higher ups they might wanna start up a case, and that'll be good for no one. We've got too many skeletons in our closet, D. I can't have that guy poking around in there." 

It's the truth of it. Do I want to kill an undercover cop? No, that's messy as fuck. Do I have a choice? Not really.

        "You'd have to make it look like an accident or something. If they investigate his death it'll circle right back to us. Who knows what kind of information he's already got stored on his hard drive. He might have pictures of you pinned up in his closet like a shrine" Dante cringed, but he was starting to get on board. 

I knew he would before Rocco would, and I need someone on my side for this. "Fuck...I don't like this" Dante sucked his teeth. "Trust me, I don't either, but better to take out one rat, then have that rat building up a rat's nest."

        "Should we branch out and call a hitman or do you wanna take care of this personally?" He asked me. "The less people who know the better. We're going old school" I warned him. "Shit" Dante re-crossed his arms and sat with that for a minute. 

"I wanna get Kat outta there. I already texted her to pack a bag for the weekend. She'll be staying with me. I kinda want him to know that we know. Scare him a little bit. I wanna see how he reacts. I have my guy in the FBI watching out for any requests to the higher ups that might have my name attached. He'll snag it before it's touched."

        "Yeah, fuck this guy. I'm having a shit day. Let's go fuck with him" My cousin used the back of his hand to tap my chest and walk past me. Here we go. Finally I have my tapped cousin back. He's been going soft on me lately. 

I know we had our beef, but honestly now that I've dealt with Kat and we're on good terms I don't even care to drag this out. 

"Alright, let's go."