Chapter 46 (Dante's POV)

I've lived alone for so long that it was kind of funny coming home last night and knowing somebody was in here. The apartment was silent though. Kat was in her room and although she tried to hide it I could see she'd been crying. 

Her eyes were red rimmed and puffier than normal. I noticed she hadn't even really eaten anything because there was no evidence of dishes or take out and I barely have groceries in this house. When I asked her about it she said she wasn't hungry. 

I know she's heartbroken. I've never dealt with a breakup that affected me in any way. I dated around a bit when I was younger, but I couldn't last more than a couple months every single time. 

I've experienced loss in other ways, but I know the heartbreak of love is something different from all other forms of heartbreak. I didn't know how to help her with it. I can't relate to it.

        I feel like I have a unique view of this Renzo/Kat breakup. I see Kat being sad and mostly to herself. I see that she's hiding from Renzo. I know the background details. And from Renzo's side of things I saw his rage, his wild goose chase that failed, and his impromptu visit to Italy. 

As promised, Renzo was in Italy for less than 24 hours. I don't know what happened over there aside from the fact that he has Mr. Boat-man now. 

When we asked questions he didn't answer them. He wasn't the kind of angry he'd been before flying to Italy. He came back with a kind of rare anger where Renzo steps back from something instead of raging forward with it. He hasn't asked about Kat once.

        The only information we got about how the boat-guy got on the plane was from the one goon Renzo had brought with him. He wasn't even allowed off the plane though. All he saw was Renzo dragging that man out of an SUV on the tarmac and into the private jet. 

Renzo smashed a few pills in the man's mouth and covered his mouth and nose until the man swallowed it. Then he was zip tied to the seat. By the time they got in the air the man was knocked out by whatever Renzo force fed him. 

And yeah, that's all we know. Now that man is in the basement at Fuoco Lento. Ren is looking for a way to contact the Armenians, but I'm sure that won't take very long.

        I wanted to corner him and see where his head was at with everything. I think Renzo, raging to find Kat, is less concerning than when he isn't. When I texted him asking where he was he said he was in the basement with the boat-guy. 

We already found out his name, but I like calling him boat-guy. I was honestly expecting to see Renzo beating the crap outta him to blow off steam, but when I got downstairs he was sitting on a chair with one ankle across his other knee. 

He was scrolling through something on his phone. The man was chained the way all prisoners usually are, but he wasn't all fucked up.

        "Uh...Ren?" I called for his attention when he didn't look up after I walked in. His blue eyes snapped up, but his posture didn't change. "I wanted to, uh, talk to you" was my smooth approach. "About?" His tone was disinterested. 

"You were in New York, Italy, now here. Have you even slept yet? And Kat..." I trailed off. "I'm sure you know exactly where she is. I'm not dense, so don't disrespect me more than you already have" he looked back down at his phone and continued to type something out. 

I open and shut my mouth. Damn. Renzo's so mad he ain't even mad. Ever seen that? That only means one thing...he'll snap one day. At who, or why? We won't know until it happens...but if he thinks I'm hiding Kat then it'll probably be at me