Chapter 36 (Dante'sPOV)

I was waiting for Kat to get out of her pottery class to give her a ride home. I told her to make me a vase. I have no idea why Kitten joined a pottery class other than the fact that she killed someone and had an existential crisis involving the lord, burning notebooks, and clay...pottery clay. 

She seems good though, and I think I can finally attribute that to my cousin. The poor bastard is terrible at this, but he loves her. I know he does. He wouldn't ask for advice if he didn't. He wouldn't spend a week disappearing to try and find the perfect presents for her birthday. He wouldn't go apple picking...in a fucking suit. He cracks me up.

        I saw Kat's little dainty body as she rushed across the street before a bus or biker collbers her. When she opened the door she popped her head in first and grinned. It made me chuckle while she climbed in. "Okay, so, me and vases...it's complicated. BUT...ta da" Kat held some low bowl up to me. "It's an ashtray," she explained. 

"Ahhhh, for all the cigarettes you yell at me for smoking" I snatched it and pinched her chin. "Dang this thing could be a weapon. I like it" It was heavy. I kept it in my lap and switched gears to pull out into traffic. 

"I don't yell at you for smoking," she tisked. "You sent me statistics on life expectancy of avid smokers. Not subtle, kitten" I teased her. She bit her cheek and shrugged. "I know the ashtray is horrible by the way. You don't have to put that anywhere" she laughed when she glanced down at it on my lap. 

"No way. It's better than I can do. It's going in the living room."

        Out of the corner of my eye I could see Kat look at me, look away, then look at me again. She wants to say something, but is second guessing herself. "Um, Dante...how come you've never shown me your apartment?" She asked me. I paused and thought about it. 

"Huh...I have no idea. I just always came to you when Renzo wanted me to deliver you things, and then it became a habit to just show up" I chuckled. If someone just showed up at my door the way I do at Kat's I would tell them to fuck off. 

"Yeah, Renzo kinda did the same thing" she shrugged. I was about to offer to take her by, but she started talking again.

        "I made a friend at my pottery class that I really think you'd like. She'd be good for you" she glanced at me again. My attention was on the road, but I could see it out of the corner of my eye. "Ehhh...no offense kitten, but I don't think we have the same type when it comes to women. Not interested" I can only imagine who Kat would want to set me up with. 

"Yeah, your type is 'convenient and willing'. It's time to take someone seriously. A real girl, not a hookup." 

I made an O face. "Ooo, you're saucy today" I like when she makes a sarcastic comment then immediately takes it back in fear of offending someone. Today she didn't take it back. She said 'convenient and willing'. HAHA. "Dante!"

"Ugh, fine. I'll consider it." I like the idea of having a nice girl in theory, but I would probably end up pulling a Renzo and being horrible at it. Or I would get bored. Well, Kat is nice and I don't get bored around her, but that's friendship. I'm good at being a friend but a boyfriend...hm. 

        "OH" I remembered something. "Your gift finally came in. I was so damn pissed that it didn't arrive in time for your birthday, but it's in my trunk, ooo" I nudged at her. "I told you that you didn't have to get me anything. And just because you won't tell me when your birthday is, doesn't mean I won't find out. Renzo will tell me."

"I don't celebrate my birthday, and you're incapable of not celebrating one. Best you just don't know about it" I teased her. She's itching to know and I never fess up.