Chapter 34 (Renzo's POV)

Kat spent all of Friday with her family. I gave them time for themselves. I also gave Kat this entire weekend off, so she was up early and walking them all around town and whatever else. Today is my second little surprise. I don't know if I will survive it, but I know Kat is gonna love it.

I'd asked her brother Michael if they ever did anything special together as a family when they used to live here on the east coast. He said they would go apple picking since Kat's birthday falls at the end of September, and that's when the apples are pickable. Pumpkins too. 

Sounds fucking terrible, but it's tradition.

        "This is bullshit" Dante crossed his arms over his chest and frowned at me. "What?" I huffed, trying to finish the last of my paperwork so I could go pick up the Costa family for this lovely day. "Why wouldn't you invite me?! I'm Kat's best friend. I deserve to go apple picking and meet her family" my cousin complained like a fool. 

"You wanna go pick apples?" I arched a brow at him. He shrugged, "Sure, why not?" 

When I just looked at him he huffed and added, "It's because you don't want them to like me better. That's what it is, huh? Well, I'm telling Kat you won't let me come" my 28 year old cousin whined like a child.

        "It sounds so fucking dumb. Why the hell would you wanna go do that? I'm forced to. I'm supposed to make Kat have the perfect birthday" I reminded him why I was going. "Ren, it doesn't have to be perfect. Don't get all frazzled if things don't go perfectly" Dante chuckled and side eyed me. 

"Why wouldn't it go perfectly? I planned the whole thing" I practically scoffed at him. "And what's that?" He asked. I leaned back in my office chair. He was half lounging on the sectional before I told him my plans for today, and he jumped up in protest.

        "Between the window of 1 and 3pm they have time for their apples. I will then let her niece pick a pumpkin. They will take that back to Kat's place and carve it. She likes that I guess. I will not touch it. So the pumpkin is probably 3:30-4:30, I'll say 5pm just to be sure. So then I'll tell them to wash up and dress for dinner. I'm taking them all to Revello's. I already warned Rocco that they think Kat works there, and they were interested in seeing the restaurant, so I have it all set up" I smoothed down my suit and looked to see what he thought of all that.

"That sounds like Kat's perfect day. You did good, son. You did good" he came around about to pat my back. I whacked his arm and waved him away. "But what I'm saying is, if the time slots don't match up perfectly you don't needa start getting frazzled. They've got the baby, sometimes things take longer" Dante warned me. I think I made a fine schedule. 

        "Can we get back on topic here. I wanna go apple picking. I won't come to the restaurant..but I wanna meet Kat's family, Ren. Don't be a dick" he crossed his arms at me again. "Fucking ridiculous. Fine whatever. Come" I shoved my paper work aside and stood up. 

"We're taking two cars then" I waved for him to head down. His grin split wide and crooked. "Can you climb the trees? I'm a fucking animal at that. I'll get you the Grade A apples" he gave a chef's kiss gesture with his hands. 

"Don't swear in front of the parents, and remember we aren't criminals, and Kat works at Revello's. Oh...and I own a cigar bar" I gave him the lies we all have to keep. It'll all go just fine. Kat's gonna love it.

-

        Connor's farm. A field of grass with miniature apple trees going down in lines with little signs at the end to tell you which apple it is. Is an apple not an apple? Not according to Mr. Connor apparently. They have this booth where you gotta buy a fucking bag.