Chapter 49

Quaint is the perfect way to describe this bed & breakfast we will be sleeping in tonight. It's a large colonial style home, which means it's a flat-faced wooden shingle and brick structure with a side-gabled roof. It's very symmetrical with all its aligned windows, which they had many of. It's a two story home with a fireplace. It holds character and charm. 

Inside the B&B the design is meant to bring comfort to the people who stay here. 

Plush armchairs, adjacent facing sofas beside the fireplace that currently held a small flame. Little knick knacks that decorate the common area to make a person stop and look at the details. When we entered we were greeted right away by an older couple. 

Husband and wife, we came to learn. They've been running this place for 15 years now.

        Rocco stepped forward out of all of us. He'd been the one on the phone with them early this morning to make the arrangements, and apparently make a large enough donation to have the couple help provide means for the elopement. Sort of like a one stop shop. 

"Hello, we're here under the reservation of Revello. We spoke this morning" Rocco told the couple. Recognition came over their faces. "Oh, yes, Mr. Revello, so glad you guys made such good timing on your journey. How many guests did you say?" 

I saw the husband look behind Rocco's figure to count us out. He's gray all over and so is his wife. She wore a shawl, which really sold the quaint-ness of the place. Like a grandma welcoming you home. 

"Five," Rocco stepped aside for the man to see. Instead of a computer screen the husband opened a leather bound book that reminded me of the one I use at the club. The special book with the special receipts. It was certainly an old school method of keeping reservation records.

         "Hm," the old man hummed when he looked down at the page. His wife stepped forward and mumbled something to the man. I was standing too far back to hear their hushed voices. "Well, you hadn't addressed the relation between your 5 guests. We sort of assumed you were coming with a family, children maybe. We only have two rooms available, but I see you're all adults. I'm not sure how you'd like to split up the space" the man told us. 

My eyes went wide at that news. Yes, how exactly are we splitting up the group into only two rooms. Oh goodness no. Dante stepped forward and cleared his throat. 

        "Well, this is the marrying couple. They'll be in one room. Us three can be in the other" he offered. My words were caught somewhere in the back of my drying throat. Renzo didn't say a word either. I could only see his broad shoulders since he was a step in front of me too. 

The older woman glanced down at the books and back to all of us. "One room does have double beds. You'll fit" she assured us. Double beds between me, Dante, and Renzo. Sharing a space with Renzo...I don't mind Dante sharing a bed with me innocently. 

It's being in a room overnight with Renzo that has my heart pumping double time again. The knots in my gut only tightened. I'll die.

        Grace glanced at me, but Rocco agreed that the room situation was fine. The couple seemed relieved. It's not like we have much of a choice. Like I said, the area we're in is isolated. I don't know where else we'd find a room on such short notice. 

Plus, this is the couple that works with an ordaining person who can facilitate the elopement. It's not about me. Remember, Kat..it's not about me. Gosh, why are my palms sweating?! 

When Dante stepped back he threw an arm around my shoulders. I know that's his silent reassurement that everything will be fine. Will it though? I may have to opt for sleeping in a tree outside rather than sharing a room with my ex boyfriend, whom I still very much love and hate in equal parts.