Chapter 16

"Visiting hours are over in about five minutes" a nurse popped her head into the room and looked between Rocco and I. Grace had been here for a short while, but after we got Dante's prognosis she went home since we'd already been here for a few hours. 

Rocco was on a chair on the left side of Dante's bed, and I was on the right, leaning forward enough to keep his hand in mine. He's knocked out from the meds right now. 

He does have internal bleeding, but he's going to be here overnight for observation because they seem confident the bleed will resolve itself. 

The wound was deep, because they think he wasn't only jabbed once, but twice in the same area. Close enough that it only looked like one stab wound, but the shape and tear of the flesh can determine details like those I guess, and they were more consistent with two jabs than one. We still have no idea what happened. 

        Dante had gone for images to see what was punctured and what needed stitching. He's been asleep ever since. No major organs were harmed enough or Dante wouldn't have made it if the attacker did hit a vital organ. 

That makes me shudder all over again. They nicked something thus the internal bleed. I didn't know a bleed inside the body could correct itself. I've done a lot of googling tonight, so I've learned quite a bit of information I wouldn't have known just hours ago.

        "They'll only let one of us stay. Would you rather it be you or me?" Rocco spoke up. The room smells sterile, and for some reason that makes all this feel so impersonal. Stiff, course drapes are drawn shut. The lights above head are fluorescent and therefore harsh on the eyes. Especially crying ones. Only one seat has a cushioned bottom that reclines back for family members who wish to stay overnight. 

Dante has an IV, and those tubes run up to a bag of saline and the finished blood transfusion they have him on to help replace all that was lost today. The heart monitor beeps and the numbers are steady. I can see that he's alright, and yet I check his chest for movement from time to time.

        "He's your family...I understand if you'd rather it be you. But yes, I would like to" I told Rocco who's been a welcomed presence here. He handled the paperwork and chatted with me to get my mind off things. He went for coffee and to the vending machine over the hours that passed. I had asked him if he'd heard from his brother and Rocco told me 'he's going to get here as soon as he can'. 

His only explanation for the absence was, "He's in boss mode right now. Trust me, he's doing everything he should be doing to get to the bottom of Dante's attack and making sure all else is secure. Including us." 

Maybe that does defend Renzo's absence, but from someone who isn't in the mob I didn't like it one bit. He was absent before Dante's attack was even known, so I'd like to know what he accounts those hours for. He does hide work related topics from me. It could just be that, but emotions are running high for me today.

        "I think you're his family now too, Kat. You should be the one to stay. Your compassion is a balm I'm sure he'll need when he wakes up" he stood and smiled poignantly at me. Rocco is about two inches shorter than his brother. He's clean shaven, and also a disarming presence. The brother's couldn't be more different. 

"Oh, here, take my number down. If you need anything please reach out. And update us when there is news" he stopped beside me to exchange numbers. "Don't be surprised if my brother shows up soon" he let me know. "He can't. Visiting hours are over" I reminded him. 

When Rocco stands with his hands in his slacks pocket that way it does remind me of his brother. He looked down at me and sort of chuckled. 

"It's Renzo...if he wants in, he'll get in" he told me before wishing me a good night.