Chapter 29 (Renzo-short)

The prison interrogation took a long time. There were a lot of gaps in the story, but now that I realized these men are pretty useless they'll be dealt with accordingly. The reason I let the lieutenant officer just quit his job and leave this prison for good is because I do believe the person responsible for the request is going to revisit the man for botching the job. 

This LO will be watched from here on out until I get my answers. He won't know that, but it's the only useful goddamn thing he could do for me.

        The CO was the least aware of what he was involving himself in. Through a beating, I found out that the LO was the one who told the guard that led Dante into the common visiting room that the pipe had broken, and the room couldn't be used. 

That clueless CO will be under my lock and key for now. He's going to owe me a lot of favors and the start of it is him keeping tabs on that little clique of men the prison guard had name-dropped after his beating in the basement of my club, where I was holding him prisoner. 

This CO will be my eyes and ears to see what they're up to and if they'd be potentials for more treachery. The prisoner will fall into the hands of someone within the prison. I don't have time for murder on such a pathetic subject. 

        My uncle will have his fun with him. It's no longer any of my concern. I also told Dante he can stab him if he wants. I ended up washing my fists of the blood I had on them and had a little private chat with the warden. When all was said and done I guess the interrogation was successful. 

All accept for the anonymous person who ordered the hit. Someone knew Catalano was gonna order a hit. I didn't want this to become one of my problems, but it did.

-

        The unaccounted for time that Kat called me out on was simple. I had been stewing all week trying to figure out what I would do for Kat's birthday. It was coming up in two weeks and I wanted to do something. A good gift, anything

It's the first birthday I'm spending with her. She made my birthday a hell of a day. I wanted to return the favor, but with Kat sex isn't thoughtful. She was mindful of what I would wanna do on my day. She didn't celebrate my birthday the way she wanted. 

I wanted to do the same but had no idea how.

        On Friday, I went shopping. Ridiculous, I know. I couldn't tell her so I just didn't answer her messages or calls, and when I did need an excuse I used Dante and screwed up, because she apparently knew where Dante was at that moment. Stupid mistake on my part. I should have double checked with him first. 

        I went to jewelry stores because isn't that every man's cop out gift? But that didn't feel right. It's not thoughtful, it's me throwing my money around. I tried browsing other stores to see if any ideas would be conjured up, but nothing. 

I had mentioned this dilemma to Dante earlier in the week asking for ideas, but he wasn't really sure either. Surprising since he likes to claim he knows her so well.

        When Kat called me out about lying I didn't know what the fuck I was gonna say. It's why I got snappy at the office. I was trying to figure out what the hell to say to her. I don't want her knowing I'm out here struggling to find her a thoughtful gift when she so easily thinks of one for others. 

What I said in her apartment when I snuck in during the night was the truth though. It pisses me off that she doesn't trust me. And it does make me feel like shit to. I had argued with my brother about the same exact thing. 

He's always so hard on me and expecting the worst from me. I guess with my reputation I deserve that, but still. 

        I've been trying, so you think I would catch a break. No. Instead of acknowledging everything I have been doing right they focus on everything I've been doing wrong. And yeah, it seems to be a lot. Maybe because I've literally never given a shit before.

I don't do dates, I don't invite women to my family events, I don't update them on my whereabouts, or title them. Or I didn't. So yeah, I need to learn now, yet they've been so impatient with me. 

        And what I said about Kat always wanting me to prove myself to her is true too. She constantly needs reassurances and I've fucking tried. I haven't strayed to any women like she keeps accusing me of. I've tried to find ways to show her she means something, even if they are mostly unconventional. 

Everybody has a different way of expressing shit. Okay, she threw a lot of words around. She says she loves me. I'm saying I would die for her. Sounds like two paths leading down the same road to me.

        I was out looking at fucking jewlery, feeling lost and honestly like a big pansy ass,  and she thought I was balls deep in Vicky. I can't catch a fucking break. But I did have a breakthrough moment on the drive back home from the prison. 

I know what Kat wants. It came to me clear as day. Kat wants her family here for her birthday. THAT I can give to her.

        I had to reach out to my contact Marcello to track down the phone number of Kat's brother Micheal. I had no way of contacting them otherwise. I will have to cooperate with them about when they're available for me to fly them out. I was also hoping they'd accept my paying for their plane tickets here. 

I know Kat told me her father was a prideful man. Still, this is a gift, so I think they would compromise. Her birthday does fall around a weekend, which makes me think this could really work. 

I know they all have jobs and get by on a pinched dime, so I didn't want to take away from the work hours. Still, it's Kat's birthday, and it's the first one they were ever going to miss, she told me as much, so hopefully they are enthusiastic to come here.

        I could have flown Kat to them, but one, I like the idea of surprising her completely, and two, I want her parents to see what a good life she's made for herself here. I bullshitted them the first time I met them and called myself Kat's boyfriend, but now that I actually am I feel I should show Mr.Costa that I do in fact take care of his daughter. 

This is the perfect gift and I thought of it on my own. Big fucking points for you, Renzo.

-

        After getting in contact with Michael, Kat's brother, I spoke with him and his parents, and after some pushing they accepted my offer to fly them out. I repeatedly explained that the tickets were my gift. They gasped and said it would be way too expensive, but I humbly reminded them I was very comfortable with money, and would like to do this. 

The Costa family will be flying out from Thursday to Sunday on Kat's birthday weekend. Well, her actual birthday is the Sunday they are leaving, but still she'll already have seen them for a few days and I think she'll enjoy it. 

After this birthday gift is revealed I will be reminding Kat about her accusations for the Friday I was 'unaccounted' for. I'd like to remind her one more time that thinking I'm a cheater before looking for any other solution is an unfair assumption.

Boyfriend Renzo is killin it.