Chapter 50

The social gathering was at 7pm just after they served dinner at the B&B. They opened a bottle of both red and white wine, and left it on the living room coffee table. By 7:10 a couple had come down, by 7:15 so did another. With me and Dante that made 6 of us in the common area.

The hosts were going to join us soon, but they'd been helping clean the table after the meals only a few of us were here for. The first couple were from the south. They're doing a mini road trip through New England, and this B&B is an overnight stop over for them. They had such thick country accents it was fun to hear. 

        When we all introduced ourselves the second couple told us they were here for an anniversary. They looked to be in their 40's or something close to that. 25 years, they've been together. Half their lives basically.

Not to be spot on with cliches, but the southern man was in a cowboy hat. Custom made apparently, which costs hundreds of dollars. I did not know that...you think it's like 20 bucks in a Walmart or something. That man took his hat very seriously.

 The woman wasn't Miss southern bell, but she talked a lot, which helped move the conversation along. The older couple were also pretty easy to speak with. 

The woman had a cropped pixie cut and the man was in loafers that squeaked when he walked. I notice weird details about people when I first meet them.

        "And who are you two?" The conversation finally came around to Dante and I. I instantly blushed for having all eyes on us. "Well, I'm Dante and this is my mistress, Kat" my foolish best friend made me gasp at his introduction. The southern man laughed, the older woman's eyes popped out of her head. 

"Oh my gosh, he's kidding!" I blurted out just as quickly. It made Dante throw his head back and laugh. As if we didn't stand out enough. He's 6'2 with a neck tattoo and he goes and tells everyone I'm his mistress. 

        "We're friends. We have a wedding tomorrow for my cousin" he patted my shoulder to calm me down, and told everyone the truth of it. "Oh, the elopement package? It's so nice. We've been here before when a couple was doing just the same" the older woman clasped her hands under her chin.

"Kat, that's a fun name. What's it short for?" The younger southern woman asked. "Oh, um, Katarina" I still felt a bit shy even though I'm very friendly. It's usually in crowds because one on one I'm much better at this. 

I was also still embarrassed by the mistress' comment. What if they think we're lying and that's actually the truth of it. 

        "Beautiful name," the older man nodded at me. "Doesn't she remind you of Brenda's daughter" the man turned to his wife. She tipped her head and studied me. "Oh yes! I couldn't place it, but you're right Jim. That's who she reminds me of" the woman patted her husband's forearm. 

I had only given myself a half pour of red wine, so I decided at that moment to go back to the table to refill my glass. When I offered to refill any of their glasses everyone held the stems and waited for me to pour.

        The hosts Mary and Roger came in at that time. None of us were sitting, we were actually spread out around the room chatting. After two glasses of wine everyone was friendly and laughing. By the third glass I was sitting at the sofa with Mary asking about how they started this place and if they had children. 

Another couple came into the house at that point. The man went upstairs, but the woman lingered and sat with us to learn who we were all over again. There were a lot of duplicate introductions. 

I can hold my liquor well, but being wine drunk and being liquor drunk are two very different things for some reason. It takes very little wine to make me giddy and flush.