Chapter 55 (Renzo's POV)

When my cousin asked to have a talk with me about something I honestly thought it was gonna be some bullshit speech like the last one he'd given me. I haven't been feeling the friendliest towards Dante these past few weeks. 

He's loyal to Kat now, and although I do appreciate him having her back and watching over her, I don't like how that's somehow turned him against me. He doubts my word now. He's questioned my mindset for business. He's lied to me. He didn't try to learn the truth and defend me. He immediately thought the worst in me just like she does.

So, since I thought this discussion was going to be about all that bullshit I almost said no. But he texted me that it's something I'm gonna wanna hear. He got me curious.

     I told Dante to meet me at the restaurant. I was hungry anyway and my brother was down there. I had already ordered a meal and was halfway through it by the time my cousin showed up. He slid right into the booth without pause. 

"We might have a problem on our hands, Ren" he looked pointedly at me. I placed my fork down and leaned back against the booth seat, arm up and at ease.

"What?" I don't like having to ask 'what' when someone knows I wanna know something. It irks the fuck outta me. Dante leaned forward on his elbows against the table like he does when he really has something to say. 

       "Kat's neighbor," he started. I was already leaning forward with him. "She saw something sketchy. She asked me what you found out when you looked the guy up" he told me, but not fast enough. "Tell me" I waved him to get the fuck to it. 

"She caught him peeking at her mail. She said she tried justifying it as nothing, but then she talked to the guy and was starting to get nervous vibes." I scratched my beard and looked on. If she talked to the guy then obviously there are more details involving the conversation.

Dante has a habit of looking around when he talks. He glanced across the patrons at the restaurant like he was waiting to see the guy here or something. 

       "She asked what he did for work since she always sees him around during normal business hours. He told her the same thing that's on the resume we found on him. But old Rylee boy had fun asking all sorts of questions back. He asked where she worked, made a fucking comment about how she can afford such a place like that apartment with a restaurant salary" he continued to speak, but I put a hand up to stop him.

"Go back. He said that? About how she could afford it?" I didn't fucking like that. My cousin nodded his head. "She reminded him that you 'live' there and split rent, which opened up his perfect chance to ask what you do for work. Could be nothing since she asked him first, but I don't know man. I never liked him" Dante's face scrunched up.

        I cracked my knuckles and grit my teeth. I knew I didn't like that little prick. I have no definitive reason not to, but I think I've gotten pretty good at sniffing out the bad guys. He has no accent that would affiliate him to any known crime organization we ally with or are enemies of. The Armenians? No, I think he was around before that. It wouldn't fit the timeline. 

"He noted that he never sees you, Ren. Maybe you should make an appearance around the apartment, so he doesn't notice the girl lives alone" Dante recommended.

I'd already thought the same thing. He can be Mr. Friendly neighbor with Kat, but let's see what he's gonna be with me. He's only seen me once and I wasn't kind or polite like my girl was. Uh, not girl...Kat. 

    "I'm gonna contact Marcello and have him do a deeper dive into this guy. We could've found a smoke screen" I thrummed my fingers on the table. I don't like the instant agitation I felt when learning about all this. A 'smoke screen' is when you have a false profile about yourself so when you're looked up you have this false narrative that makes you look normal.