Chapter 43

I woke up to the sound of bickering not far from the guest room door. I guess I dozed off while laying in the room sulking about Renzo and how bad of a track record my relationships have been. First Val getting caught with a bent over girl, and now Renzo getting caught with a girl in a towel. 

"Oh my god, mum!! This is not your wedding" I heard Grace huff and stomp around. "Who's paying for it?!" The voice I recognize to be Mrs. Colombo responded quickly . Grace snorted a laugh like I've never heard her do before. 

"Not you" she deadpanned to her mother. I guess she isn't wrong. I don't think Mrs. Colombo works. Jimmy Colombo had a lot of money being the big boss around here, so it'd be his money if anything. Or Rocco is paying for it himself. It's not like he's short on cash either.

        I wasn't sure if I should make my presence known in the condo, or just stay in here and let them talk it out without my being openly present. Either way I can very clearly hear the arguing. They weren't being quiet about it. 

"I have a guest here. Can we talk about this later. I'm, like, so frustrated right now" I heard Grace huffing more and going through what sounded like cabinets. "Who?" Her mother asked. That's when Grace hollered out for me. 

I tiptoed over to the door and peeked my head out. 

        "Kat, you remember my mother, right?" Grace tried to sound less frazzled and smooth herself over. I had no choice but to step out of the room. "I do. Hello Mrs. Colombo" I smiled politely and walked forward so she didn't have to holler across the apartment. "Ah, from the bridal shop" recognition came over her.

It's funny that she and Mrs. Revello bicker because they remind me so much of each other. That's probably why they butt heads. 

"Come look then, honey. Tell me I'm not wrong. She has a pencil neck and the cut of this dress looks odd, doesn't it?" Mrs. Colombo showed me her phone, but my eyes went wide at her harsh comment. 

        "Oh, um, I wouldn't say that. Grace has an elegant neck" I tried not to be cruel. Grace gave me an expression that read 'thank you' while I felt her mother looking me up and down. "Oh she's too polite" she sucked her teeth like she knew I agreed with her, but just wouldn't say it. I was so happy when Grace's phone started ringing and this conversation got cut short.

"Yeah, she's right here. Why?" I heard Grace say to whoever was on the line. I figured she was talking about her mother, but then Grace turned around and handed me the phone. My brows furrowed until I saw the contact name. "Dante?"

        "Ugh, about time. Why is your phone off!! I've been trying to find a way to reach you. Renzo's on his way to New York, and I think he thinks you're with Moretti" Dante quickly filled me in. My eyes flew wide. 

"He's coming here?!" I don't know why Dante sounded out of breath, but he did, and now I did too. "When he sees it's not Moretti he'll know it's Grace. So, if you wanna avoid him you should probably leave" he deadpanned. I groaned. 

"How does he always figure out where I am?!" I thought he'd gotten lucky the time he caught me in New Orleans. Dante snorted like I should know better. And I do know better. "He has men for stuff like that. That man can chase you to the ends of the earth." And I knew Dante wasn't wrong.

        "Well, what do I do? I'm not ready to see him yet. Did he tell you anything?" I couldn't help asking him. "No, he got dressed and ran after you. I tried shit talking a little bit, but he wasn't having it. Now he isn't even answering his phone, so let's hope he didn't murder Moretti" Dante deadpanned in a voice that held no sarcasm to the threat of murder. Oh goodness no.